This article contains frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding the end-of-life announcement for the Code42 legacy agent.
What is happening?
Code42 is announcing the end-of-life of the Code42 legacy agent. The legacy agent has been replaced with significantly better technology. If you have devices using the legacy agent, you must complete agent modernization before November 1, 2023 to utilize our upgraded agent technology.
In some cases, Code42 may enable agent modernization for your organization to initiate automatic upgrades for your devices. Click the Sign in to create ticket button above to contact our technical support engineers if you have questions about automatic upgrades.
What is the Code42 legacy agent?
The Code42 legacy agent is the combined application installed on user devices responsible for both insider risk monitoring and backing up user files. Devices with Code42 app version 11.x and earlier are using the legacy agent.
What replaces the legacy agent?
The legacy agent is replaced by separate apps for insider risk management and for backup.
- The insider risk agent is a redesigned, purpose-built agent for insider risk management, which features:
- Increased capture rate of exfiltrated files
- Lower CPU usage
- No user interface or tray icon
- Additional features such as real-time blocking, Git exfiltration detection, and the ability to identify directionality of file sync activity between user devices and cloud services.
- Access to continual enhancements to security technology and features
The backup agent is an updated, more compact version of the legacy agent, solely focused on file backup and restore.
When is this happening?
There are two important dates for the Code42 legacy agent end-of-life:
November 1, 2023 – End of support: The Code42 legacy agent will no longer be updated with enhancements, bug fixes, or to support new operating systems. See our currently supported operating systems for more details. Of note, the legacy agent will not be updated to support macOS Sonoma.
- Security monitoring and backup activity continue
- Devices can be enabled for agent modernization
April 10, 2024 – End of life: The Code42 legacy agent will stop functioning and no longer connect to the Code42 cloud.
- Security monitoring and backups will stop, but existing backup archives will not be affected.
- New devices cannot register.
- Automatic upgrades via agent modernization will no longer be possible. Upgrading to the insider risk and backup agents will require a manual process.
How do I get the insider risk and backup agents?
Upgrade your apps via the agent modernization process before November 1, 2023. Upgrading ensures continued support and access to the latest Incydr features and functionality.
Can I install only the backup agent?
No. Devices with the backup agent must also have the insider risk agent installed. Using the backup agent without the insider risk agent installed is not supported.
Are backups affected?
No, backups are not affected. Upgrading from the legacy agent to the backup agent preserves existing backups and ensures future backups will continue.
Are legal holds affected?
No, legal holds are not affected. Upgrading from the legacy agent to the backup agent preserves existing legal holds and ensures access to future legal holds.
What if I have more questions?
Click the Sign in to create ticket button above to contact our technical support engineers for additional support.