Every backup archive created with the Code42 agent is tied to a specific computer through a unique computer ID. This way, the Code42 server can keep a thorough and unique record of each computer's backup history (previous file versions, moved and deleted files, etc.). In certain situations, you may need to assign your computer a new ID. This article describes the process of assigning your computer a new ID.
- You might need to assign your computer a new ID if:
- You have cloned a Virtual Machine
- You recently changed computers with the help of a utility like Migration Assistant or Time Machine
- Our Technical Support Engineers ask you to do this when troubleshooting an issue
- The Code42 agent's uninstaller does not reset your computer identity. If you want to completely remove traces of your previous installation, you must reset the identity using the instructions below.
- Sign in to the Code42 agent.
- Open Code42 Commands by entering the keyboard shortcut for your operating system:
- Windows: Ctrl+shift+C
- Mac: Option+Command+C
- Linux: Ctrl+Shift+C
- Press Enter.
That's it! Now it is as if you installed the Code42 agent for the first time on that computer.