This tutorial explains how to download files from the web, also known as a web restore. Web restore is designed to download a few files when you need them on the go. It is not designed for very large downloads. If you need to download a large number of files, you can restore files from the Code42 agent.
Watch the short video below to learn how to download files from the web. For more videos, visit the Code42 University.
Some menu and navigation items shown in this video have changed. Follow the steps in this article to navigate to these settings, then watch the video for more details.
Before you begin
- If you are downloading all of your files because you recently reformatted or replaced a device or hard drive, refer to Replace your device instead.
- (Code42 federal cloud only) If you back up files to a Code42 federal cloud destination, web restore is not available. Use the Code42 agent to download files or contact your administrator for help.
Files whose names differ only in capitalization are recognized as distinct files on Linux devices when you select files for backup, as well as when you select files for download. On Windows and Mac devices, files whose names differ only in capitalization are treated as the same file. When you restore two Linux files whose names differ only in capitalization to a Windows or Mac device, the files have "original<number>" prefixed to their names to differentiate them from one another.
- Sign in to the Code42 console. Contact your administrator to get the URL of the Code42 console.
- Select Administration > Environment > Devices.
- Select the device containing the files you want to download.
- Click the Restore icon.
The Web Restore dialog opens.
(Optional) Select a calendar date to download files as of a date other than the most recent date.
(Optional) Select Display deleted files to download previously-deleted files.
The file tree refreshes to include deleted files.
- Select the files or folders you want to download from the file tree.
Click the arrow next to a file to view and select a specific version of that file to restore. Time stamps next to file versions are displayed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- Click Restore.
The Web Restore Finished message appears in the lower-left side of the Code42 console.
- Select Click here to download to download the zip file containing your files.
The files are downloaded to the device you're currently using.
- If you're using a public device, be sure to Sign Out before leaving.
- Only files backed up to the Code42 cloud can be downloaded from the web. If your files were backed up to a local destination, such as an external drive, you must get files from the Code42 agent instead.
- Your administrator can restrict the maximum amount that can be downloaded from the web. If your download selection exceeds the total allowed, download from the Code42 agent instead. Downloads are limited to 250 MB by default, but administrators can change this restriction by increasing the web restore limit.