Initial announcement date October 3, 2019
To ensure the security and integrity of the Code42 cloud, Code42 implemented a networking change on May 26, 2020 that:
- Removed the ability of Code42 servers and apps to use port 4282 to communicate with Code42 cloud destinations.
- Resulted in Code42 apps older than version 5.4 (with the exception of versions 4.8 and 4.9) being unable to connect to Code42 cloud destinations.
- Resulted in the old unsupported "CrashPlan mobile app" being unable to connect to Code42 cloud destinations.
There were two phases to this change:
- February 4-11, 2020: Access to the Code42 cloud over port 4282 was temporarily shut off. This change was reverted on February 11 to allow any devices to reconnect that were in an unrecoverable state. This week allowed time to understand the impact prior to Code42 permanently shutting off access to the Code42 cloud over port 4282.
- May 26, 2020: Access to the Code42 cloud over port 4282 was shut off permanently.
This change affects all Code42 customers (both Code42 for Enterprise and CrashPlan for Small Business) who:
- Run unsupported Code42 apps older than version 5.4 with the exception of versions 4.8 and 4.9, and
- Use Code42 cloud destinations for storage.
This change does not affect Code42 customers who:
- Run supported Code42 app versions on port 443 and 4287, or
- Have on-premises installations of Code42 that use on-premises storage.
What should I do?
Users of the Code42 app
Test your network connection to Code42 for ports 443 and 4287. If you cannot connect using 443 and 4287, then this issue affects you. Contact your Code42 administrator to resolve the problem.
- Ensure that both network ports 443 and 4287 in your environment are open for Code42 app communication, and
- Upgrade the Code42 app on all the computers in your organization so they run supported versions. All supported versions of the Code42 app can connect to the Code42 cloud using ports 443 and 4287. (Run the device status report to identify Code42 app versions on user devices.)
Users of the old unsupported "CrashPlan mobile app"
The old "CrashPlan mobile app" is unsupported, and does not have an equivalent mobile replacement for Code42 for Enterprise users. However, CrashPlan for Small Business users can install the CrashPlan for Small Business mobile app.
Frequently asked questions
- Ensure that both ports 443 and 4287 are open for Code42 app communication, and
- Run supported versions of the Code42 server and Code42 app.
To continue to connect to Code42 cloud destinations, you may still run unsupported Code42 app versions 4.8, 4.9, or 5.4 and later. However, we strongly recommend you upgrade to supported versions of the Code42 app to ensure the latest functionality and security updates. We cannot guarantee the stability or reliability of unsupported versions.
Any Code42 servers and apps attempting to connect to Code42 cloud destinations using port 4282 will be unable to connect.
Code42 for Enterprise administrators can run the device status report to identify Code42 app versions on user devices. Export the report results to CSV and sort on the "version" column. Compare the version numbers in the report output with the supported versions.
Review our Test your network connection article to verify connectivity of your Code42 apps.
We removed support for legacy port 4282 to improve security.
Legacy port 4282 allowed Code42 apps to connect to storage destinations using non-TLS messaging. Beginning with the introduction of TLS messaging in Code42 version 5.4, Code42 apps started using port 4287 to connect to storage destinations over a Transport Layer Security protocol. While secure, non-TLS communication over port 4282 is not as secure as TLS communication over port 4287.
If you need help, please contact our Customer Champions.
Updates to this document
The End of support for port 4282 in the Code42 cloud document should not be interpreted as a legally binding commitment, but rather as an informational document that may change occasionally as we respond to changing market conditions and to our customers' needs.
This document represents the current view of Code42 as of the date it was posted. Code42 may change or update this policy at any time, without notice. Code42 cannot guarantee that this document will be kept up to date, nor that any typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions will be corrected. Please check this document periodically to keep informed of any changes.
All online policies and similar documents are for informational purposes only. Code42 makes no warranties, express, implied or statutory, by posting such documents or about the information in such documents.
Please refer to the Product lifecycle policy document for our general end of support policy.