Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
Code42 designs, builds, and tests its software to run on specific platforms: operating systems, mobile operating systems, and web browsers. Examples include:
- Operating systems, such as Ubuntu, and specific versions of operating systems, such as Windows 10
- Mobile operating systems, such as iOS, and specific versions of mobile operating systems, such as Android Jellybean
- Browsers, such as Mozilla Firefox, and specific versions of browsers, such as Internet Explorer 6
This page is intended to explain the guidelines and process that Code42 follows when ending support for platforms and versions of those platforms.
Support for platforms
Code42 may choose to stop producing and supporting its products for specified platforms.
- Code42 may, at its sole discretion, end support of its products on specified platforms.
- Retirement of a platform generally coincides with the end-of-support date of a major software version of a Code42 product.
- Code42 supports the last major version of a platform until the end-of-support date for a Code42 product on that platform.
Support for versions of platforms
Code42 may choose to stop producing and supporting its products for specified versions of platforms.
- Code42 makes an effort to support the two most recent versions of supported platforms.
- Retirement of a platform version generally coincides with either a minor or maintenance software version release, or with a calendar date.
- Code42's end-of-support date for a platform version may or may not coincide with the end-of-support date for a major version of a Code42 product.
- In the event that a platform's manufacturer discontinues support for a version of their platform, Code42 is likely to stop producing and supporting its products for that version of the platform as well.
Platform support guidelines
For specific details about system requirements of Code42's products, refer to the system requirements articles for each Code42 product:
Guidelines for operating system support
Code42 supports the Code42 app running on computers whose operating systems are supported by their vendors. With few exceptions, Code42 does not support its software on computers running an operating system that is no longer supported by its vendor.
For details, see the Operating system support policy.
Guidelines for browser support
In general, Code42 produces and tests browser-based products, such as the administration console, using the two most recent versions of each supported web browser.
Guidelines for retirement announcements
Our announcements about ending support for a particular platform are intended to provide you with time to transition to a supported platform. Code42 makes an effort to:
- Announce retirements at least six months before the effective date of retirement
- Support each platform through the platform's end-of-support date
When a platform or version is retired, Code42 posts an announcement on the support site and on the Code42 Community. Code42 also includes retirement announcements in its regular email notifications to administrators of Code42 environments.
Access to maintenance, remote monitoring, and the Code42 Customer Champion Team is no longer available. Patches, bug fixes, and troubleshooting are no longer available for products that have reached end-of-support.
Software used to run or access Code42 products. Examples of platforms include operating systems, mobile operating systems, and web browsers.
When a platform is retired, Code42 will stop providing support for accessing Code42 software through use of that platform.
- Software versions
Code42 uses four designations for software versions:
- Major software versions contain large features and changes to functionality. Major version numbers are one digit (and a zero), such as 4.0 or 5.0.
- Minor software versions contain smaller features and enhancements to existing functionality. Minor version numbers are two digits, such as 3.6 or 4.2.
- Maintenance software versions contain bug fixes and other small changes. Maintenance version numbers are three digits, such as 4.3.5 or 5.1.2.
- Patch software versions contain bug fixes or other corrections that must be addressed before the next scheduled release point. Patch version numbers are four digits, such as 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124.
Review the operating system support policy for guidelines and process that Code42 follows for operating systems. Additional articles describe support announcements for specific platforms. (As of 2019, operating system retirement is no longer announced with a separate article, but is shown in the list of previously supported operating systems for on-premises installations, Code42 cloud, and CrashPlan for Small Business.)
- Operating system support policy
- Code42 for Enterprise supported operating systems update announcement on June 7, 2019
- Code42 for Enterprise supported operating systems update announcement on June 14, 2019
- Code42 for Enterprise supported operating systems update announcement on September 6, 2019
- CrashPlan for Small Business supported operating systems update announcement on June 6, 2019
- CrashPlan for Small Business supported operating systems update announcement on September 9, 2019
- Platform end of support for Code42 CrashPlan apps on Windows Server
- Platform end of support for CrashPlan for Small Business apps on OS X 10.9 and 10.10
- Platform retirement and end of support for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5
- Platform retirement and end of support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6
- Platform retirement and end of support for Windows Server 2003
- Platform retirement for Code42 servers on Mac operating systems
- Platform retirement for OS X Lion 10.7 and Mountain Lion 10.8
- Platform retirement for Windows XP and Windows Vista
- Solaris platform retirement
- Windows phone platform retirement
Updates to this document
The Platform Support Policy document should not be interpreted as a legally binding commitment, but rather as an informational document that may change as we respond to changing market conditions and to our customers' needs.
This document represents the current view of Code42 as of the date of posting. Code42 may change or update this policy at any time, without notice. Code42 cannot guarantee that this document will be kept up to date, nor that any typographical errors, inaccuracies or omissions will be corrected. Please check this document periodically to keep informed of any changes.
All online policies and similar documents are for informational purposes only. Code42 makes no warranties, express, implied or statutory, by posting such documents or about the information in such documents.