A great backup is one you don't notice until you need it. By default, the Code42 app has limits in place to keep it running silently, without using too many system resources. A Code42 app may cause noticeable slowdowns, however, if a device has limited resources or also runs high-demand applications, such as:
- Computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Animation software
- Video editing software
To reduce the amount of system resources used by the Code42 app, follow the recommendations in this article.
Even under ideal conditions, the initial backup process that starts immediately after you install the Code42 app can take days or even a month or more, depending on your upload speed and the total size of the files. It's best to wait until after the initial backup completes before reducing the Code42 app's system usage
Understand the disadvantages of reducing the amount of system resources required by the Code42 app. After you take the steps below, your Code42 app will:
- Take longer to back up your data.
- Back up new data less often.
- Capture fewer versions of your data.
Change usage settings
Increase the time before the Code42 app shifts to "user is away" mode, and lower the client's CPU time demand when the user is present. These settings only apply to Mac and Windows devices.
CPU settings apply to the amount of CPU processing time dedicated to Code42 app work, not to total CPU processing capacity. Therefore, while % CPU may be set at 20, for example, a system monitor may show that 70% of CPU capacity is used for the Code42 app at a particular point in time.
- Open the Code42 app.
- Select Settings.
- Select Usage
4. Next to User is away when not active for, increase the minutes. Start at 30 minutes.
5. Next to When user is present, decrease the percentage of CPU time that the Code42 app is allowed to use. Start at 20%.
If other applications run while you are away, you might want to also decrease CPU usage when a user is away to 20%.
Adjust your backup schedule
You can schedule your Code42 app to back up during specific days and times when you aren't using other resources on the device, such as overnight.
- Open the Code42 app.
- Select Settings
- Next to Backup Schedule, click Change.
- Select Only run between specified times and set a start and end time for your backup window.
- Click Save.
Optimize the energy settings of the device to make sure it's not asleep during the scheduled backup. If the device is not on and awake, the Code42 app cannot back up files.
- Wikipedia: Processor affinity