In many cases, the Code42 app's default memory setting supports backing up as much as 1 TB of data or as many as 1 million files on Mac and Linux devices, and as much as 4 TB of data or as many as 4 millions files on Windows devices. However, you may need to assign additional system memory if the Code42 app:
- Does not open when launched
- Opens, but displays the message: Cannot connect to background service
- Closes abruptly while backing up files
This article describes how to diagnose and fix the problem on a 64-bit system to resume successful backups.
Recommended solution for 64-bit systems
Step 1: Completely uninstall the Code42 app
Follow these instructions to completely uninstall the Code42 app.
Step 2: Reinstall the Code42 app
Follow the instructions at Install the Code42 app.
Step 3: Open the Code42 app
- If the Code42 app opens, continue to Step 4 to update memory settings in the Code42 app.
If the Code42 app does not open, or if any of the above-described symptoms reoccurs after following Steps 1 and 2, then contact CrashPlan for Small Business support.
Step 4: Update the Code42 app memory settings
- Determine how much memory your Code42 app needs:
|Backup selection size||Recommended memory setting (MB)|
|1.5 TB or 1.5 million files||1536|
|2 TB or 2 million files||2048|
|2.5 TB or 2.5 million files||2560|
|3 TB or 3 million files||
|4 TB or 4 millions files||4096|
- Use the keyboard shortcut for your operating system:
- Mac: Option+Command+C
- Linux: Ctrl+Shift+C
The command-line area opens.
- Enter the command:
java mx nnnn,restart
where nnnn is the number for the new memory setting.
- Press Enter.
The Code42 app closes. The Code42 service stops. Then the Code42 service restarts.
- Open the Code42 app.
- If the Code42 app opens successfully, continue to Step 5.
- If the Code42 app does not open, or if any of the above-described symptoms reoccurs after following Steps 1 and 2, then contact our CrashPlan for Small Business support.
Step 5: Reconnect your backup
If the Code42 app opened successfully, reconnect your newly installed Code42 app to the backup archives created by the old app, before the symptoms occurred.
Follow the instructions at Replace your device.