This tutorial explains how to restore your entire iTunes library, including your music, videos, and other media, as well as the library and settings files that contain your playlists, play counts, ratings, and comments.
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of CrashPlan for Small Business. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
- iTunes stores playlists, ratings, and other information about your iTunes content in two iTunes Library files. To fully restore everything in iTunes, these files must be restored in addition to your actual music and video files.
- If you store any of your iTunes content outside the default iTunes folder, note those locations. You will also need to select those folders to restore.
To simplify backup and restore, consolidate your iTunes library.
Step 1: Restore your iTunes folder
To locate and restore your iTunes files:
- Click Restore Files.
- (Applies only if you have multiple devices) From the menu, select the device that originally backed up the files you want to restore.
- Locate and select your iTunes folder. If you store any of your iTunes files outside the default iTunes folder, select those folders as well. The default location of your iTunes folder varies depending on your operating system (see below). If you changed the location of your iTunes folder, visit Apple support to learn where your iTunes files are located.
- Mac: Go to /Users/<user name>/Music/iTunes
- Windows 8 or later: Go to \Users\username\Music\iTunes.
- Click Restore Files
The Restore Files Options window appears.
- In options, verify you are saving the selected files to the original location. You can also adjust naming guidelines and permissions for your restored files.
- Click Go.
Your download is added to the downloads manager. The downloads manager displays the status of your download.
Step 2: Choose your library in iTunes
Once your iTunes folder is restored, use iTunes to choose your restored library.