This article explains how to restore your Apple Mail files and import them into Apple Mail. In most cases, we recommend restoring all of your backed-up Apple Mail files, but you can also restore specific folders (such as Inbox or Sent Mail).
Before you begin
- You must have already configured at least one mailbox in Apple Mail.
- You must have already backed up Apple Mail files (/Users/<user name>/Library/Mail/).
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of Code42 products. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
Step 1: Restore your Apple mail files
Open the Code42 app to see a list of backed-up files:
- Click Restore Files.
- (Applies only if you have multiple devices) From the menu, select the device that originally backed up the files you want to restore.
- (Optional) If you want to restore an earlier version of your files, click As of Today to select a previous date from the calendar.
- From the file tree, select the checkbox for your Apple Mail files: /Users/<user name>/Library/Mail/
- Select Restore Files
The Restore Files Options window appears.
- Update the options to specify the restore location, naming guidelines, and permissions for your restored files.
- Click Go.
Your download is added to the downloads manager. The downloads manager displays the status of your download.
Restore specific mail folders
You can restore specific mail folders instead of all your mail.
- Click the triangle to the left of the Mail folder to reveal its contents.
- Select the checkbox next to each folder you want to restore (and deselect the checkbox next to any folder you don't want to restore).
Step 2: Import your restored files into Apple Mail
When the restore is complete, import your restored files into Apple Mail. After importing your restored mail into Apple Mail, you can move your folders and messages within Apple Mail.
Step 3: Clean up your restored files
After you import your restored files into Apple Mail, you can safely delete the the restored copy of the files from your Desktop (or other location you selected).