Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Gov F2, and Horizon, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
CrashPlan Cloud, no.
Retired product plans, no.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
If your entire hard drive and one or more external drives are selected in the backup file selection for your Mac device, the external drives can appear as not selected for backup in the Code42 app. Although the external drives are actually selected for backup, you must take the steps described in this article to ensure any new files added to your external drive are backed up.
Mac devices on Code42 app version 6.5.2 or earlier with both of the following selected for backup:
- Your entire Macintosh hard drive (
- One or more external drives or disk images (for example,
This issue is resolved in version 6.7.2 of the Code42 server. If possible, upgrade to version 6.7.2 or later.
Update your file selection to select only the folders and drives you want backed up. This solution helps ensure you're backing up the files and folders Code42 is designed to back up, for optimal efficiency.
Complete all of the steps below at one time. If you click Save before you're finished selecting all files to include in your backup, you risk unintentionally losing data.
- Connect to your computer the external drives that you want to include in your backup file selection.
If you no longer have access to the external drives, contact our Customer Champions instead of continuing with the steps below.
- Open the Code42 app.
- Click Details.
- Click Manage Files.
- Select your device name in the breadcrumb that appears at the top of the Manage Files screen.
- In the list of files and folders, deselect Macintosh HD.
- Click anywhere in the Macintosh HD row.
The contents of the drive appear.
- Select the files and folders you want backed up, including your User folder.
- Click Save.
The Delete Files from Backup warning may appear. For more information, see Delete files from your backup archive.
Use caution when defining your file selection:
- You should only keep files deselected that you want to permanently and immediately delete from your backup archive.
- There is no way to recover deselected files.
- You will lose any historical versions associated with the deselected folders and files.
Alternatively, you can add a new backup set that only includes your external drives. This solution provides a straightforward resolution. However, your entire hard drive remains selected for backup, contrary to our directions for what you should back up.
If you have more questions about what to back up or about the steps described above, contact our Customer Champions.