Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Gov F2, and Horizon, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, no.
CrashPlan Cloud, no.
Retired product plans, no.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Enabling the archive key password security option adds an additional password requirement to access your backups: in addition to your account password, you create a second password that is used to secure your archive encryption key. This article outlines the process for changing this setting.
Proceed after preparation
- Consult the administrator of your Code42 environment.
- Read the Advice to users regarding archive encryption key security.
These instructions explain how to use a password and an optional recovery question and answer.
If you set the question and remember the answer, then you can forget your password but still retrieve your data.
If you do not set a recovery question, or if you lose both your password and your recovery answer, then your backup data is lost, for all of the devices on your account. Code42 cannot help you recover that data. Your only option is to start over with a new backup archive.
A secure question:
- Has hundreds, if not thousands, of possible answers.
- Has one answer you easily remember.
- Is not a question you would answer publicly, online or in person.
- Cannot be researched online via Google, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
- Has an answer that does not change over time.
The password and recovery question you create below apply to all the devices that back up data to your Code42 account.
Upgrade to archive key password
Step 1: Open security preferences
- Open the Code42 app.
- Go to device preferences:
- Code42 app version 6.8.3 and later: Select Settings.
- Code42 app version 6.8.2 and earlier:
- Click Details.
- Select the arrow next to your device name.
- Choose Device preferences.
- Select Security.
Step 2: Set your archive key password
- From Account Encryption Key Security, click Upgrade.
- Select Archive Key Password.
- Enter the password you'd like to use as your archive key password.
Your password must be at least 8 characters and can include any combination of letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces.
- Re-enter the archive key password, exactly as you entered it in the previous field.
- (Optional) Enter a recovery question and answer that can be used to reset your archive key password in the event that it is lost or forgotten.
Your question and answer may include any combination of letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces.
- Click Save.
The Changing encryption key security dialog appears.
Step 3: Confirm your security upgrade
- Read each of the archive encryption setting warnings, and indicate your approval by selecting I understand the risks.
If you have a recovery question enabled, it is possible to reset your password in the event that you forget your archive key password.
- Click Save to permanently upgrade your Code42 app's security option to use an archive key password.
The success message, "Security upgraded to Archive Password", appears.