Administrator's guide to getting started with the Code42 environment
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, yes.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
This article provides a high-level summary of the initial steps for setting up your Code42 environment, including:
- User management
- Deploying the Code42 agent to user devices
- Configuring settings
For additional assistance with any of the steps below, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) to engage the Code42 Professional Services team.
Step 1: Sign in to the Code42 console
Most tasks related to managing users, devices, organizations, and settings are performed in the Administration section of the Code42 console. For a summary of all navigation options, or to find the sign-in URL for your Code42 environment, see Code42 console overview.
Step 2: Add organizations
By default, your Code42 environment contains a single parent organization. Creating additional organizations enables you to group users into a hierarchy and apply different settings to each organization. Create organizations before you add users. (You always have the option to create new organizations and move users between organizations later, but it's easier to create organizations first.)
To add an organization:
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- Select Administration > Environment > Organizations.
Active organizations appear in the list.
- Click Create organization.
- Enter a name.
- Select a parent organization.
- Click Create.
For more details, see Add organizations for user management.
Step 3: Add users
Before adding users, identify your provisioning strategy:
- Code42 User Directory Sync (UDS): Uses LDAP to sync your directory service with Code42.
- SCIM provisioning: Enables you to sync any SCIM 2.0 provisioning provider with Code42.
- Manual entry in the Code42 console: If you do not want to sync with a third-party directory service or provisioning provider, you can manage users locally in the Code42 console (includes options for bulk upload via a text file and sending email invitations to users).
For detailed steps for each method, see Add users from the Code42 console.
Next, review options for user authentication and authorization. This includes integrating with single sign-on (SSO), if applicable.
Step 4: Optimize insider risk detection and file activity monitoring
Follow the steps outlined in Detect and respond to insider risks to ensure you're capturing all file activity for review and investigation.
Step 5: Customize device settings (optional)
The Code42 default settings are appropriate for many situations, but you have also have the option to customize organization, user, and device settings.
Insider risk agent
- To review and edit organization settings related to authentication, endpoint data collection, and proxy see organization settings.
- To review and edit device settings such as reference information and notes, see the Devices reference.
Backup agent and legacy agent
- To review and edit organization settings related to security, backup, and restore, see organization settings.
- To review and edit device settings related to CPU usage, backup timing, and networking see device backup default settings.
- For detailed instructions on what to back up, including exclusions and other backup settings, see Considerations for defining your backup policies.
For the most high-value settings to optimize operation of your Code42 cloud environment, see Optimize Code42 console settings for backup and legacy agents.
Step 6: Deploy the Code42 agent to user devices
There are many options for deploying the Code42 agent to user devices. In most cases, use a Code42 deployment policy. For detailed deployment policy instructions, see:
For additional deployment options and instructions, see Manage agent installations in your Code42 environment
The Code42 support site provides extensive tutorials, best practices, reference guides, troubleshooting, and more for all aspects of Code42's products. Use the search bar at the top of any page to search for specific topics, or browse available resources from any of these links:
If you don't find what you need on our support site, create a customer portal account and then create a ticket or chat with our Technical Support Engineers.