Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
CrashPlan Cloud, no.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
The Code42 device migration process (also called adoption or replacement) allows you to easily migrate backup data after you:
- Replace a device with a new one (due to theft, loss, or upgrade)
- Replace a device's main hard drive
- Reinstall a device's operating system
- Completely uninstall and reinstall the Code42 app
Instructions for specific migrations
Migrating a device means copying data from a Code42 backup for one device onto another device. That data includes:
- User data files
- Code42 settings, license, and identity data
- Windows devices using Code42 for Enterprise only: System user settings (USMT data)
The following directs you to instructions for specific tasks and environments.
Migrate user data and Code42 settings
(Windows, Mac, or Linux)
Follow one of the links below for instructions about migrating.
(To migrate USMT data, do not follow these links. Instead, see the next section.)
Migrate USMT data, user data, and Code42 settings (Windows devices only)
Code42 for Enterprise only
To migrate Windows USMT data, as well as user and Code42 data, follow the instructions at both of the links below:
- At the Code42 console, configure Code42 to back up USMT data.
- In the Code42 app, migrate backup data and apply USMT user settings.
An alternative to item 2 above does not rely on users operating the Code42 migration wizard. Instead, the admin logs on to each device and runs USMT loadstate commands manually. See Use Code42 to migrate Windows user profiles.
Our Customer Champions are available to assist you with backing up Windows user settings. But USMT is not a Code42 product, and our Customer Champions cannot provide detailed assistance with USMT-specific tasks, such as deploying USMT to devices, creating the necessary .XML files, or selecting ScanState and LoadState options. For assistance with USMT, consult Microsoft's documentation.
- User State Migration Tool (USMT) Technical Reference
View the USMT 10 documentation.
- USMT Requirements
USMT 10.0 works with Windows 8 and Windows 10.
- What Does USMT Migrate?
It migrates system settings, application settings, user profiles, and user data.
- USMT XML Reference
Configure USMT behavior.
- User State Migration Tool (USMT) Command-line Syntax
See the command line options for writing and processing USMT data.
- Download the Windows ADK
The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit provides the USMT files.