Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, yes.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
Exporting data from your Code42 environment to a CSV file provides the flexibility to generate your own customized reports from raw data. However, some spreadsheet applications, including Microsoft Excel, may make undesirable changes to data types when importing CSV files with the default settings.
This tutorial explains how to:
- Export report information from the Code42 console to a CSV file
- Import the CSV file to Microsoft Excel while preserving data types and number formats
In some spreadsheet applications, including Excel, opening the CSV file may default to displaying longer numbers in scientific notation format (for example,
6.60805E+17). Follow the steps below to prevent this formatting.
- Navigate to the Code42 console screen containing the data you want to export.
- Export the data. (Export options vary slightly for different screens, but generally appear as an Export button or Export All option in the action menu.)
The CSV file is generated and downloads.
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Open the Import Wizard:
- Windows: From the Data tab, select Get External Data > From Text.
- Mac: Open a new workbook. Select File > Import and choose CSV file.
- Choose the downloaded CSV file.
The Text Import Wizard opens.
- In Step 1, select Delimited, then click Next.
- In Step 2, select Comma as the delimiter, then click Next.
- In Step 3, select all columns with large numeric entries you want to review (for example, version, deviceUid, userUid).
Hold down the Shift key to select multiple adjacent columns. To select non-adjacent columns, repeat steps 7 and 8 for each column.
- Change the column data format from General to Text.
- Select Finish.
If you are unable to scroll left to right in the Import Wizard on Mac:
- Go to System Preferences > General.
- Next to Show scroll bars, select Always.
- Microsoft Office Support: Import .csv files