How to integrate Code42 and Zapproved for eDiscovery
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
You can now use Zapproved's CloudPreserve to preserve data in Code42. This article explains how to configure your Code42 environment to enable this integration. Once you connect the two applications, your legal team will be able to:
- Preserve data on a custodian's computer using Code42's continuous backup
- Create a complete audit trail of all preservation and collection activities
A Legal Hold Pro and CloudPreserve license is required. Contact Zapproved for more information about purchasing licenses.
Our Technical Support Engineers can help with issues caused by Code42. However, we cannot provide technical support for Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro. Contact Zapproved for help with Legal Hold Pro.
How to integrate Code42 with Zapproved
Step 1: Create a Code42 authorizing user account
- Sign in to the Code42 console as a Customer Cloud Admin.
- Select Administration > Environment > Users.
- Click Create user.
- Select an organization for the new user.
- Enter the user's details.
- Click Add.
- In the Users list, select the user you just created.
The user's details appear.
- Select the Roles tab.
- Click the Edit icon .
The Edit roles panel appears.
- Select Cross Org Legal Admin.
- Click Save.
- Note this user's credentials. You will use this user for the authorizing Code42 account in Zapproved Legal Hold Pro.
Step 2: Configure CloudPreserve in Zapproved
Sign in to Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro dashboard to configure CloudPreserve with Code42. For more information on how to use CloudPreserve to preserve data in Code42, see Zapproved's Legal Hold Pro documentation (you must be signed in to view the documentation).
Once you have connected the two apps, Legal Hold Pro and Code42 automatically:
- Create a default preservation policy in Code42
- Create Code42 matters to correspond with each Code42 preservation created in Legal Hold Pro
- Apply the default preservation policy to each matter
(Optional) Edit the preservation policy in Code42
By default, the automatically-created preservation policy places all of the files on a custodian's computer into legal hold and preserves all deleted files. You can edit this preservation policy to add file type exclusions, or change how frequently file changes are backed up.
Process a custodian's data
To process a custodian's Code42 backup data, follow the steps below to download the custodian's files from Code42s matter and then upload the Code42 backup data to Zapproved's Digital Discovery Pro.
- Sign in to the Code42 console as the user with the Cross Org Legal Admin role.
Select Administration > Legal Hold > Matters.
- Click the matter associated with the custodian.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
- If the user has more than one device, choose a device.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Target device
Choose a device you have access to. This is where Code42 downloads the files.
- Target location
- Target Path
Specify a file path on the device for the restore.
- Original Location
Specify that the files should be restored to their original location on the device.
- Target Path
(Appears only if you select Target Path). The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions are collected.
- Files to restore
- (Optional) Enable Display deleted files
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
If you choose to collect a large number of files, preparing the files for restore may take several minutes.
- Target device
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
Code42 downloads the files to the device and file path you chose.
- Upload the files to Zapproved's Digital Discovery Pro for review.
Code42's Legal Hold uses the same technology for file collection that the Code42 console uses for web restores. For more technical information on collecting files, see the Code42 console web restore reference guide and tutorial.