Configure DSCP for the backup and legacy agents
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
This article describes how to configure quality-of-service (QoS) policies with differentiated services code point (DSCP) for LAN (local area networks) in your Code42 environment. Using DSCP can help prioritize backup traffic from Code42 agents to the Code42 cloud while not saturating your network.
- Options for configuring DSCP are only available at the organization level in the Code42 console, not at an individual device level.
- Configuring DSCP settings only affect LANs where routers are configured to support DSCP, and where other services use the same ports as Code42. DSCP is a topic for experienced network administrators and is beyond the scope of our Customer Champions. Incorrectly configuring these settings can adversely affect network performance and impact Code42 agent connectivity.
- These steps do not apply to the insider risk agent.
Code42 agents on Windows
DSCP settings configured via the Code42 console do not apply to Code42 agents running on Windows. To use DSCP for Code42 agents running on Windows, you must enable DSCP via Group Policy.
Before you begin
- Consider the IP addresses used in your environment. Specifically, ensure you are familiar with your use of IPv4 and IPv6, as applicable. If your use of IPv4 or IPv6 changes after you enable DSCP, revisit these Code42 console settings to ensure they are still appropriate for your environment.
- You must have Org Admin or Cross Org Admin level permissions or higher to configure DSCP.
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- Select Administration > Environment > Organizations.
- Choose an organization.
- Select Actions > Device backup defaults > Network.
- Under DSCP, select Enable DSCP.
- Select IPv6 or IPv4.
- If you select IPv6, DSCP is not set on IPv4 packets.
- If your environment only runs on IPv6, do not select IPv4. Selecting IPv4 forces all communication over IPv4. If you select this option in an environment that only runs on IPv6, your Code42 agents will be cut off from the Code42 cloud and can only be recovered by uninstalling and reinstalling the Code42 agent.
- Enter a DSCP Value between 1 and 63.
- (Optional) Select the Push button to apply this setting to existing devices in addition to new devices.
- Click Save.
- Wikipedia: Differentiated services
- Cisco: Commonly Used DSCP Values