Install the Code42 agent for multiple user accounts on one device
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
By default, a single instance of the Code42 agent is installed for all user accounts on a device. This default installation type is the best to use. However, if you have devices shared by multiple users, you may wish to change the installation type to "per user" if:
- You need a separate instance of the Code42 agent for each user account on a device, and
- You are not using Code42's monitoring features
Per user installations are only effective in specific situations for device backups. Code42 Incydr and other Code42 monitoring features do not support per user installations.
Installation type comparison
Both the default (for everyone) and per user installation types are able to back up data for multiple users on a single device.
- The default installation type uses a single user account with the same backup settings, backup archive, and subscription for all users who sign in to the device.
- The per user installation uses a separate Code42 agent instance for each user account to manage unique account settings for each user.
Review the table below for more details about the differences between the installation types.
|Install for everyone (default)||Install per user|
|Username and password||Single username and password for all users on the device.||Individual username and password for each per-user installation.|
Single encryption key for all users on the device.
Different encryption key for each per-user installation.
Can back up any file on the device, except those contained in admin exclusions.
|Can only back up files that the individual user account can access, except those contained in admin exclusions.|
|Backup activity||Backs up at all times, regardless of whether users are signed in to the device.||Backs up only for the currently signed-in user.|
|Backup archive||Files included in the backup file selection back up to a single backup archive, regardless of user.||Each per-user installation backs up to a unique backup archive.|
|Encrypted file system||Supports encrypted files, folders, drives, and file systems that are run at a system level (for example, FileVault on macOS).||Supports encrypted files, folders, drives, and file systems that are run at the user level (for example, Windows Encrypting File System).|
|Code42 agent and tray access||Application and tray visible to all users on the device. Any user can access the application by default. Requires sign in for first use.||Application is visible only for user accounts with an installed Code42 agent.|
Can restore any files within the backup file selection.
|Can only restore files the individual user account has backed up.|
Considerations for per-user installations
Review the considerations below before installing the Code42 agent per user.
- Per-user installation is supported on Mac and on Windows.
- Only one per-user installation is supported on a single Linux device. Multiple per-user installations are not supported.
Licenses and subscriptions
When you install per user, each user or device requires a subscription and follows the guidelines for subscription consumption.
When you install per user:
- The Code42 agent cannot back up files and folders that the user does not have permission to access. The Code42 agent relies on the user's system permissions to access and back up files.
- The Code42 agent cannot back up when the user is signed out of the device.
Volume shadow service (VSS)
On Windows, the Code42 service coordinates with VSS to back up open files. When the Code42 agent is installed per user, the Code42 service does not have full access to VSS. As a result, files that are left open may not back up regularly. If files are not backing up, the history log reports, “Unable to backup n files”. If this occurs, the Code42 service will try again later; if the file is closed, then backup will succeed.
VSS may not have access to system and application files included in your backup file selection, which can prevent your backup from completing. The Code42 agent isn't designed to back up restore your operating system or application files, so there is no advantage to backing up these types of files. Do not add these files to your backup selection.
Install per user and for everyone on the same device
Installing the Code42 agent using both installation types on a single device is not supported.
Install the Code42 agent per user on Windows and Mac
- Sign in to the device.
The per-user installation of the Code42 agent is applied to the signed-in user account.
- Download the Code42 agent.
See your system administrator for guidelines on downloading the Code42 agent.
- Open the Code42 agent installer:
- Windows: Double-click the installer file and follow the prompts.
- Mac: Double-click the DMG file, then double-click Install Code42 CrashPlan.
- When prompted for Installation Type, choose the option to install the Code42 agent for your user account:
- Windows: Select Only for me and continue the installation.
- Mac: Select Change Install Location, then choose Install for me only and continue the installation.
- Create or sign in to your account.
- Repeat the installation for each user account on the device.
- (Mac only) Restart the device.
After backup starts, the Mac operating system prompts for access to your contacts, reminders, and calendars. Click Ok to allow the Code42 agent access to back up the contents of your user folder. If you select Don't Allow, the Code42 agent will back up everything other than your contacts, reminders, and calendars.
To install the Code42 agent per user on the command line, adapt these examples to your needs.
Command-line installation on Windows
msiexec to run the Code42 agent installer with the following parameters:
msiexec /i "<path_to_known_location>\<Code42_app_version>.msi" /qn ALLUSERS=2 MSIINSTALLPERUSER=1 INSTALL_PER_USER=1 CP_SILENT=true /log install_log.txt
||Allows the use of Windows Installer from the command line.|
The full directory path to the installer file.
Replace with the file name and version of the MSI installer for your version of the Code42 agent.
||Specifies a silent installation.|
||Specifies the per-user installation context.|
||Prevents the Code42 agent from opening on the device after installation is complete.|
||Creates an installation log for a given file name.|
Command-line installation on Mac
- Obtain the package (.pkg) installer file for the Code42 agent:
- Download the Code42 agent from the Code42 console.
- Double-click the Code42 agent's installer dmg to mount it.
- Copy the .pkg file from the mounted installer to a known location on the destination device.
- Use Apple's
installertool to run the Code42 agent installer with the following parameters:
installer -pkg "<path_to_known_location>/<Code42_app_version>.pkg42" -target CurrentUserHomeDirectory
||Allows Mac installer packages to be run from terminal|
The full directory path to the installer file.
Replace with the file name and version of the package (PKG) file installer for your version of the Code42 agent.
||Specifies the per-user installation context.
CurrentUserHomeDirectory is an Mac domain, not an example. Do not replace this text with a path or folder on your device.
Change a current Code42 agent install to per user
If the Code42 agent is installed for everyone on your device, and you want to install per user instead:
- Perform a complete uninstall of the Code42 agent.
- Install the Code42 agent for each user account.
- Transfer files from your previous backup.
Only one user can transfer files from the previous backup.