Add users from the Code42 console
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, yes.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, yes.
This article describes how to add users via the Code42 console, as well as suggestions for when to use each method. Common ways to add users from the Code42 console include:
- Entering information manually for each user
- Provisioning users from a third-party directory or provisioning provider
Add users manually
Entering information manually for each user is an easy way to quickly add a few users.
To add many users at once, see the option below for provisioning users. This method is faster and more efficient for adding large groups of users.
You can add users in the Code42 console from either Users or Organizations.
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- To add from Users:
- Select Administration > Environment > Users from the navigation menu.
- Click Create user.
- Select an organization.
- To add from Organizations:
- Select Administration > Environment > Organizations from the navigation menu.
- Select the organization to which you want to add users.
The organization's details appear.
- Select Actions > Add user.
- To add from Users:
- Enter the user's information.
The user details fields vary based on the selected organization. For example, organizations that use local authentication include password fields, while organizations that use single sign-on only require an email address. (Adding local users to SSO organizations is not supported.)
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters. For stronger security, use 16 characters or more.
- Passwords must have at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. Special characters and symbols are also allowed.
- Passwords can't contain spaces or 3 or more repeating letters, numbers, or characters.
- Passwords shouldn't contain common words or phrases that are easily guessed (like "password" or "letmein").
- Never reuse passwords. Don't use a password for Code42 that you use for any other online account.
- Click Add.
- Select roles for the user.
- Click Add.
Add users by provisioning
This method syncs with a third-party directory or provisioning provider to automatically manage users.
To access provisioning settings, go to Administration > Integrations > Identity Management. For more details about adding a provisioning provider, see Identity management.
Use this method if you currently have a provisioning provider that uses the SCIM 2.0 protocol or if you want to start maintaining users in a centralized directory. Code42 customers can use Okta's provisioning features for free. Learn more about Code42 provisioning and how to configure it in our introduction to SCIM provisioning article.
Code42 User Directory Sync
Code42 User Directory Sync enables you to use LDAP to sync your directory service with Code42. To configure it, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM).
Considerations for backup agent and legacy agent users
- A user account functions as a container for a single user’s devices. Users cannot restore files from another user’s devices unless they have the appropriate administrative privileges.
- After a user is added, the Code42 agent must be installed on each user's device in order to begin monitoring and backup operations.
- Once a computer is added to a user account, it cannot be moved to a different user account without restarting the backup.
Each individual user needs a unique username and password. Sharing credentials across multiple users is a large security and data privacy risk because users can download backed up files from every device using the same username.