Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, yes.
This article applies to app versions 6, 7, and 8.
Managing your backup means staying informed about its successes and failures. The Code42 app sends email warnings and alerts to help you stay informed about the status of your backups. If you receive a backup alert and you're not sure why, this article can walk you through the most common reasons.
Watch the 3-minute video below to learn about backup status report emails and troubleshoot any areas of concern.
Although this video describes viewing backup status report emails for CrashPlan for Small Business, the same process applies to Code42 for Enterprise.
Alerts and warnings
Alerts and warnings are email messages letting you know if there is a problem with your backup.
- Backup Warning
- You receive a warning when your computer hasn't backed up (to any destination) for a specified number of days.
- Backup Alert
- You receive an alert when your computer hasn't backed up (to any destination) for a specified number of days. Alerts are sent as a follow-up to a warning when the computer still hasn't backed up.
- Alerts and warning are set, by default, to:
- Code42 for Enterprise: Three days and five days, respectively
- CrashPlan for Small Business: Seven and fourteen days, respectively
- You can change the time period for warnings and alerts from:
- Alert period(s) are not "reset" until a backup occurs
What to do if you get a backup alert
Check your connection
If you get an email alert telling you that one of your computers hasn't backed up in several days, first make sure that the computer is connected to the Internet and has not been turned off or asleep. If necessary, troubleshoot network issues that could prevent the Code42 app from backing up.
Check for notifications
Next, open the Code42 app and look for any errors or other messages that may suggest why the computer isn't backing up. The following resources may be useful for troubleshooting:
Check your backup schedule setting
Is the Code42 app configured to run all of the time, or only during a specific window of time? We recommend setting the Code42 app to run Always.
If the Code42 app is set to run between specific times, make sure both the source and destination computers are on and awake during an overlapping window of time. The Code42 app can't back up or restore outside of this window, and it can't back up if the a computer is off or asleep.
- Open the Code42 app.
- Open the backup settings:
- Code42 app version 6.8.3 and later:
- Select .
- Select Backup Sets.
- Code42 app version 6.8.2 and earlier:
- Select Details.
- Select the action menu.
- Click Change for Backup Schedule.
Restart the Code42 app and your computer
Restarting the Code42 app or your computer can resolve issues. First, restart the Code42 service. If you've restarted the Code42 app, and you're still unable to connect to any of your destinations, restarting your computer may resolve the connectivity issue.
Ask a Customer Champion
If you've tried these options and you are still unable to determine why an alert was sent, contact a Customer Champion for further assistance.