Under certain circumstances, backups on Windows 10 devices inadvertently trigger the download of online-only files that are managed by OneDrive Files On-Demand. Normally, the online-only files reside in OneDrive's cloud and not on your device. But if the OneDrive folder is included in the Code42 app backup selection, online-only files are automatically downloaded when backup runs. This article describes how to resolve the problem.
Windows 10 devices using OneDriveFiles On-Demand that meet the following conditions:
- OneDrive build is 17.3.7064.1005 or later.
- OneDrive folder is in the Code42 app backup selection.
- OneDrive Files On-Demand is enabled.
- OneDrive folder contains online-only files.
Choose the solution that's right for you:
- Choose Disable OneDrive Files On-Demand if you still want to back up locally-stored OneDrive files, but you do not need files on-demand.
- Choose Remove the OneDrive folder from backup if you need files on-demand, but do not need to back up locally-stored OneDrive files.
Disable OneDrive Files On-Demand
Make sure you’re signed in to OneDrive on your device.
Select the OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows taskbar notification area.
In the activity center, select More > Settings.
On the Settings tab, unselect the Save space and download files as you use them box.
Remove the OneDrive folder from backup
When you remove your OneDrive folder from your backup selection, the files in that folder are deleted from your backup archive. They cannot be restored, and there is no way to recover them.
Code42 app users
- Open the Code42 app.
- Go to Manage Files.
- Code42 app version 6.8.3 and later: Click Manage Files.
- Code42 app version 6.8.2 and earlier: Click Details > Manage Files.
- Navigate to the OneDrive folder on Windows: C:\Users\<Your user name>\OneDrive
- Deselect the check box next to the OneDrive folder.
- Click Save.
The Delete Files from Backup warning displays.
- Select I understand to confirm you want to delete deselected files from your backup.
- If applicable, select Delete.
After changing the file selection, the Code42 app synchronizes the files selected for backup with the files already backed up to that destination.
Use substitution variables or regular expressions to exclude Code42 app users' OneDrive folder from backup. For instructions about how to exclude a folder, see Include or exclude files for backup.
Microsoft: Learn about OneDrive Files On-Demand