Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
Antivirus and security software are designed to protect your system against unknown applications and unauthorized Internet activity. If your antivirus or security software doesn’t recognize the Code42 app as an approved application, you may not be able to back up. There are several messages you might experience when there is a conflict:
- “Cannot connect to the background service.”
- “Cannot connect to destination. If the problem continues, contact your administrator or support for assistance.”
This troubleshooting article recommends solutions for resolving conflicts between the Code42 app and anti-virus and security software.
Antivirus and security software known conflicts
The following antivirus and security applications have been known to prevent Code42 app connections:
- BeyondTrust PowerBroker (version 6.5)
- Little Snitch
- Intego VirusBarrier
- Intego NetBarrier
- One Periodic Hands Off!
Add an exception to antivirus and security applications
If you are using one of the applications listed above, consult the manufacturer's documentation on how to add an exception for a blocked application, then add an exception for the Code42 app that allows for incoming and outgoing communication. See External Resources below for links to instructions for commonly used applications.
The Code42 app requires certain ports in order to function. The Code42 app may not need to use these ports all the time, but it still needs to prepare them for use (open the socket). Some firewall software may require you to enter specific ports when adding an exception. By default, the Code42 app reserves ports 4244 and 4287, but a different port may be assigned if these ports are already in use.
Upgrading the Code42 app to a new version may cause antivirus or security software to see that version as a new application and block its activity. If this occurs, re-add the Code42 app as an approved application in your antivirus or security software.
Temporarily uninstall application
If you are using an antivirus or security application not included in the list above, you can determine if it conflicts with the Code42 app by temporarily disabling or removing the application. Once you diagnose the application causing the conflict, consult the manufacturer's documentation on how to add an exception.
- McAffee Knowledge Center: How to exclude files from virus scans on Windows or macOS
- Avast Support: Configuring the firewall application rules in avast! Internet Security
- Avira Support: Add exceptions for Avira Anitvirus
- AVG Support: Exclude file, folder, or website from AVG scanning
- ESET Support: Create a firewall rule to allow/disallow use of a certain application in my Windows ESET home product