In many cases, the Code42 app's default memory setting supports backing up as much as 1 TB (1,024 GB) of data or as many as 1 million files. However, you may need to assign additional system memory if the Code42 app:
- Does not open when launched
- Opens, but displays the message: Cannot connect to background service
- Closes abruptly while backing up files
This article describes how to diagnose and fix the problem on a 64-bit system to resume successful backups.
- Code42 app 6.x running on Mac
- Code42 app 6.x running on Linux
If your Code42 app runs on a Windows system, see Code42 app does not run.
Recommended solution for 64-bit systems
If your operating system is Mac or Linux, follow the instructions below to resolve the issue.
Step 1: Completely uninstall the Code42 app
- Open the Finder.
- Press Command+Shift+G.
A dialog box appears: Go to the folder.
- Paste this text into the dialog box:
- Installed for everyone: /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app
- Installed per user: ~/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/Uninstall.app
- Click Go.
- Double-click Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
- Delete the following directory from your device:
- Installed for all users: /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan
- Installed per user: ~/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan
- Download CrashPlan.
- Uncompress the TGZ file in Downloads.
- Open Terminal and enter: cd ~/Downloads/CrashPlan-install
- Press Enter.
- Then enter: sudo ./uninstall.sh -i /usr/local/crashplan
- Press Enter.
- At the prompt, type YES to uninstall and press Enter.
- Delete the following directory from your device: /var/lib/crashplan
Step 2: Reinstall the Code42 app
Follow the instructions at Install the Code42 app.
Step 3: Open the Code42 app
- If the Code42 app opens, continue to Step 4 to update memory settings in the Code42 app.
If the Code42 app does not open, or if any of the above-described symptoms reoccurs after following Steps 1 and 2, then contact our Customer Champions for Code42 for Enterprise support.
Step 4: Update the Code42 app memory settings
- Determine how much memory your Code42 app needs:
|Backup selection size||Recommended memory setting (MB)|
|1.5 TB or 1.5 million files||1536|
|2 TB or 2 million files||2048|
|2.5 TB or 2.5 million files||2560|
|3 TB or 3 million files||
- Use the keyboard shortcut for your operating system:
- Mac: Option+Command+C
- Linux: Ctrl+Shift+C
The command-line area opens.
- Enter the command:
java mx nnnn,restart
where nnnn is the number for the new memory setting.
- Press Enter.
The Code42 app closes. The Code42 service stops. Then the Code42 service restarts.
- Open the Code42 app.
- If the Code42 app opens successfully, continue to Step 5.
- If the Code42 app does not open, or if any of the above-described symptoms reoccurs after following Steps 1 and 2, then contact our Customer Champions for Code42 for Enterprise support.
Step 5: Reconnect your backup
If the Code42 app opened successfully, reconnect your newly installed Code42 app to the backup archives created by the old app, before the symptoms occurred.
Follow the instructions at Replace your device.