An archive key password is an optional level of security you can enable for your account. This level of security requires you to enter the archive key password to sign into the Code42 CrashPlan app or download your files. This tutorial describes how to change that archive key password from the CrashPlan app.
Enhanced archive encryption settings (archive key password and custom key) require version 5.2.x or later of the CrashPlan app. Enhanced archive encryption settings are not available in versions 5.0.x and 5.1.x of the CrashPlan app.
- If the archive key encryption option was enabled for you by an administrator, then the default password is set to your account password until it is changed from the CrashPlan app.
- To change your archive key password, you must provide existing security information for your account. You must either:
- Provide your current archive key password
- Answer your recovery question
If you don't know your archive key password, or you didn't set a recovery question, then there is no way to change or recover your archive key password. You must contact your administrator. Code42 Customer Champions cannot reset or recover an archive key password for you.
Change archive key password from the CrashPlan app
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Click Details.
- Select the arrow next to your device name.
- Choose Device preferences.
- Select Security.
- Next to Archive key password, select Change.
- Enter your current archive key password.
- Enter your new archive key password.
Your password must be at least 8 characters and can include any combination of letters, numeric (0-9) characters, symbols, and spaces.
- Re-enter your new archive key password.
- Click Save.
The message Archive Key Password Updated appears.New password for all devices
The password is changed for all devices on your account.