- CrashPlan PRO
- CrashPlan PROe
This article describes an issue in which the CrashPlan app for Windows does not open after upgrading to version 4.4.1 and displays the error message "Failed to load Java VM library (errno=193)."
CrashPlan app version 4.4.1 for Windows
This issue occurs when there is a mismatch between the version of Java and the version of CrashPlan on your device. For example, you may experience this issue if your device has the 64-bit version of the CrashPlan app and the 32-bit version Java (or vice versa).
When you open the CrashPlan app, you may see the error message, "Failed to load Java VM library (errno=193)."
You can correct this issue by downloading and reinstalling a new version of the CrashPlan app. When you reinstall, CrashPlan installs the correct version of Java if it doesn’t already exist on your device.
Step 1: Uninstall the CrashPlan app
- Open the Control Panel, and select:
- Windows 7/8/10: Uninstall a Program
- Vista: Programs and Features
- Windows XP: Add/Remove Programs
- Select your CrashPlan product (CrashPlan PRO or Code42 for Enterprise), and choose Uninstall.
You may be prompted that another user on the device is signed in. If another user is signed in, it may prevent the CrashPlan app from uninstalling completely. Code42 recommends coordinating with other users to ensure all users are signed out of the account before continuing.
If the uninstallation fails, follow Microsoft's instructions to fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.
Step 2: Reinstall the CrashPlan app
- Download the latest version of CrashPlan for your operating system. Make sure to choose the version that matches your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit). Visit Windows Support if you need help identifying your Windows version.
- Once the download completes, unzip the installer.
- Double-click the CrashPlan EXE file.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, choose Existing Account on the sign in screen and enter your CrashPlan account information.
Additional installation information is available in the Installing CrashPlan article.
- Windows Support: How can I tell if my computer is running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?
- Oracle: Java downloads