- CrashPlan for Small Business (Mac only)
- CrashPlan PROe
There are two similar sounding error messages that could display when opening the CrashPlan app: Unable to connect to the backup engine, retry? and Unable to connect, check your network. Even though these two errors sound very similar, they point to completely separate issues.
Unable to connect to backup engine
The backup engine is the CrashPlan service that actually backs up files. The CrashPlan service is separate from the CrashPlan app. So even if the CrashPlan app can start, if it can't communicate with the CrashPlan service, then it can't display information.
- The CrashPlan service has stopped or crashed
- There is another application using the same internal communication method CrashPlan uses
For more information, see Troubleshooting Backup Engine issues.
Unable to connect, check your network
Network issues are any issues that relate to how CrashPlan communicates to the LAN (Local Area Network) or WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet). The CrashPlan app opens and displays the login prompt, but you can't log in.
Example causes of network issues:
- Firewall is misconfigured (the port CrashPlan needs to connect is blocked)
- Spotty internet or router connections, unplugged cables, etc.