- CrashPlan PRO
- CrashPlan PROe
If restored folders or files display a red circle and cannot be opened, it means that you don't have the permissions needed to access the files. This typically occurs when files that were created on one computer are restored to a Mac computer using the restore setting for "original permissions." This troubleshooting guide can help you correct the issue.
Mac OS X
Folders with restricted permissions display a red circle in the Finder. When attempting to open the folder, you receive the message:
The folder [folder name] can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.
Restoring your files through the CrashPlan app with original permissions instead of current permissions may result in restored files that you don't have permission to access. If the permission issues only impact a small number of files, the easiest way to correct this is to simply restore your files again with current permissions.
If the permission issues affect a large number of files or you don't want to restore the files again, see the alternative solution below to manually adjust the permissions of each folder.
To restore the files again with current permissions:
- Open the CrashPlan app and go to Restore
- Select the files to be restored
- Click original permissions to change the selection to current permissions
- Update the other restore options, if necessary
- Click Restore
If you don't want to restore the files again, you can update the permissions for each folder impacted by following the steps below.
- Select the folder you want to update
- Click Command+I or go to File > Get Info
- Click the triangle next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section
- Click the lock icon to allow editing of your settings
- When prompted, enter your password to allow changes to the Finder
- Next to everyone, click No Access to display privilege options
- Select Read & Write
- Click the gear icon, then select Apply to enclosed items to apply the setting to subfolders
When prompted to confirm the change, click OK
- Click the lock icon again to prevent future changes