- CrashPlan PRO
- CrashPlan PROe
This article describes an issue in which the CrashPlan app operates normally, but the CrashPlan tray / menu bar app (the CrashPlan icon in the Windows tray and OS X menu bar) is dimmed and disabled. On hovering over the CrashPlan icon, the message Unable to connect to the backup engine appears.
CrashPlan app version 4.3.4 and 4.4.1
This issue occurs when the CrashPlan app was previously installed per user and then uninstalled and reinstalled for everyone (the default installation). In this situation, selecting the CrashPlan icon in tray area (Windows) or menu bar (OS X) displays the message Unable to connect to backup engine.
The CrashPlan app operates normally, and backups and restores are not affected. This issue only impacts your ability to use the CrashPlan tray / menu bar app.
To resolve this issue, follow the steps below to delete the .ui_info file from the previous installation and then restart the tray / menu bar app:
- Locate the .ui_info file from the previous per user installation:
- Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\<Local or Roaming>\CrashPlan
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\CrashPlan
- OS X: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/CrashPlan
On OS X, the .ui_info file is hidden by default. If you don't see the .ui_info file, follow the steps below to show hidden files before proceeding.
- Delete the .ui_info file.
Deleting this file does not harm your CrashPlan backup. It is a file left over from a previous installation and it is no longer necessary.
- Restart the CrashPlan tray / menu bar app:
- Windows: From the Windows Start menu, select CrashPlan > CrashPlan Tray.
- OS X: Open the CrashPlan app and select Settings > Launch.
Show hidden files in OS X
- Open the Finder.
- Go to Applications > Utilities and open Terminal.
- Enter the following command to show hidden files:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
- Hold down the option key while right-clicking the Finder icon in the Dock and select Relaunch.
When your Finder windows reopen, hidden files will be visible.
- To return the default setting of not showing hidden files, enter the following command in Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO