- CrashPlan for Small Business
- CrashPlan PROe
When accessing the CrashPlan app on Windows, the CrashPlan app will fail to open if your username contains non-Latin Unicode characters. This article provides solutions to access the CrashPlan app.
CrashPlan app on Windows
If you are affected by this issue, mousing over the CrashPlan app icon in the notification area will display the text Waiting for login.
Characters known to cause this issue include:
To ensure that the CrashPlan app is able to open, create an administrative account that has access to your user account's files.
- Create a new Windows administrative user account that contains only Latin characters using the instructions for your Windows version:
- Sign out of your Windows user account.
- Sign in to the new, administrative user account.
- Open the CrashPlan app.
- Select the original user's files that you want to back up.
- Start your backup.
CrashPlan will continue to back up those locations even when the administrative user account is not signed in.
Renaming your user account using only Latin characters will allow CrashPlan to run normally on your user account. Use the instructions below for your Windows version: