This article applies to Code42 for Enterprise version 4.
This article describes an issue with the CrashPlan app: backups will stop and the message "Unable to connect to backup engine" is displayed.
CrashPlan apps (prior to 3.5.2) running on Mac OS X with Oracle's Java 1.7 installed.
Edit the CrashPlan service's com.crashplan.engine.plist ("the plist file") file to make the CrashPlan app use Java 1.6. If you don't have Java 1.6 installed, it is available from Apple.
- Stop the CrashPlan service by running this command in the Terminal application:
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist
- Run this command to edit the CrashPlan service's configuration:
sudo nano /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist
- Change the following value:
- Hold the Control key and tap the x key to exit.
- Press the
ykey to confirm your changes, when prompted.
- Press the Enter key to save with the same file name, when prompted with "File Name to Write."
- Start the CrashPlan service by running this command in the Terminal application:
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.crashplan.engine.plist
Re-open the CrashPlan app and confirm that the CrashPlan app is working normally. If the issue remains, contact our Customer Champions.