Every backup archive created with the CrashPlan app is tied to a specific computer through a unique computer ID. This way, CrashPlan can keep a thorough and unique record of each computer's backup history (previous file versions, moved and deleted files, etc.). In certain situations, you may need to assign your computer a new ID. This article describes the process of assigning your computer a new ID.
- You might need to assign your computer a new ID if:
- You have cloned a Virtual Machine
- You recently changed computers with the help of a utility like Migration Assistant or Time Machine
- Our Customer Champions ask you to do this when troubleshooting an issue
- CrashPlan's uninstaller does not reset your computer identity. If you want to completely remove traces of your previous installation, you must reset the identity using the instructions below.
- Open the CrashPlan app
- Double-click on the logo in the upper right
A command window opens
- In the input area, type: guid new
You are signed out of the CrashPlan app
That's it! Now it is as if you installed the CrashPlan app for the first time on that computer.