Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
This article applies to version 4.
There is a known issue with using an archive question to recover a lost or forgotten archive key password. This issue only occurs under a specific set of circumstances where the answer to the archive question contains the uppercase dotted I character (??) used in Turkish.
The issue prevents the answer to your archive question from converting properly, resulting in a failed attempt to reset your archive key password.
All of the following conditions must be true for this issue to occur:
- Security upgraded to use archive key password with archive question enabled for password recovery
- Answer to the archive question:
- was set when CrashPlan was using Java 6
- contains the uppercase dotted I character (??)
- CrashPlan app version 3.6.1 or later on a system that upgraded from Java 6 to Java 7 after the archive question was set
Archive key password is known
If you know your archive key password, you can reset the archive question to avoid encountering this issue in the future.
Archive key password is unknown
If you lost or forgot your archive key password, but you know the answer to your archive question, please contact our Customer Champions for Code42 for Enterprise support for further assistance.
- grepalex.com Java 6 and 7 with the dotted/dotless I
- Wikipedia Internationalization and Localization
- i18nguy.com Internationalization for Turkish: Dotted and Dotless Letter "I"