- CrashPlan for Small Business
- CrashPlan PROe
This tutorial explains how to move an archive from one local destination, such as a folder or external drive, to another local destination. When you change the backup location, CrashPlan moves the entire backup archive so that all of the archived files are in one place. This might be useful, for example, if you are backing up to an external drive that fills up and you want to move the backup to a larger drive.
You can update the folder destination from the CrashPlan app to have CrashPlan move an entire backup archive for you. However, for larger archives, it may be faster to manually copy the archive, then attach the archive to the CrashPlan app.
Update folder destination from the CrashPlan app
- Open the CrashPlan app and go to Destinations > Folder.
- Select the folder or drive containing the backup archive you want to move.
- Click the folder icon for the selected folder.
- From the Select a Directory window, browse to and select the new location for the archive.
- From the Attach Backup window, click Ok to confirm that you selected the archive you want to move.
CrashPlan copies your archive to the new location and notifies you when the archive has been added. If you do not see this window, see the troubleshooting steps below.
- When prompted, indicate whether or not you want CrashPlan to delete the archive from its original location.
- Click Save.
Troubleshooting "waiting to move backup files"
There is a known issue that can prevent the Attach Backup window from displaying. Instead, the message "Waiting to move backup files" displays under the progress bar.
To resolve the issue:
- Click the Backup tab
- Click the name of the folder or drive containing the archive you want to move
- Repeat the steps above
Attach Backup displays as expected
Manually copy and attach an archive
Alternatively, if you need to move a large archive, it may be faster to manually copy the backup archive to its new destination, then attach the archive from the CrashPlan app.
Please note, it is important to copy the archive using an application that can verify that files aren't corrupted during the copying process, such as TeraCopy or Rsync.
- Use an application like TeraCopy or Rsync, which can verify that files don't become corrupted during copying, to copy the archive from its existing location to the new location
Look for the folder that matches the source computer's ID: e.g., 948212309528060501. Wait for the copy to finish before proceeding.
- Open the CrashPlan app and go to Destinations > Folders.
- Choose Select.
- Navigate to the archive you'd like to attach.
Look for the folder that matches the source computer's ID: for example, 948212309528060501
- Click Ok.
Your files resume backing up, now storing files in the new location. You can delete the archive folder from its original location.