- CrashPlan for Small Business (Mac only)
- CrashPlan PROe
The CrashPlan app allows you to exclude network adapters and wireless networks from use by CrashPlan. For example, this is useful if you want to prevent CrashPlan from:
- Using a slow VPN connection
- Backing up through a data card that could result in overage charges from your wireless carrier
This tutorial provides a step-by-step guide to excluding network adapters and wireless networks.
Exclude network interfaces
(Windows and OS X only)
With the network interfaces configuration, you can prevent CrashPlan from using specified wired connections.
Exclude wireless networks
(Windows and OS X only)
Similar to the network interfaces configuration, you can prevent CrashPlan from using specified wireless networks (e.g. a mobile wireless hotspot with a usage cap).
Change the network interface used for backup
If you have multiple active network interfaces, CrashPlan will use the primary network interface assigned by your operating system. Like most applications, CrashPlan relies on the operating system to choose the interface it uses. If the primary interface is blocked, the CrashPlan app will block your connection, even if other network interfaces are available.
Network exclusions in CrashPlan work as follows:
- CrashPlan asks the operating system to make a network connection to the Code42 servers.
- The computer uses the interface that is listed by the operating system as the primary network interface.
- CrashPlan tries to use this connection to back up.
- CrashPlan checks its list of network exclusions. If the connection is excluded, it blocks the connection, and displays the message: Backup paused--network blocked.
Specify a network interface
Information about products from other manufacturers is intended as a resource to help you get the most out of Code42 products. However, our Customer Champions cannot provide direct assistance for these products. For assistance with products not developed by Code42, contact the product's manufacturer.
If you have multiple network interfaces and want to specify an interface for CrashPlan to use, you must set the desired interface as your computer's primary network interface within your operating system. The following links provide methods for changing your operating systems primary network interface: