This article applies to Code42 for Enterprise version 4.
If you are adding storage that you would like to dedicate to your backup archives, you can tell CrashPlan to store the backup archive in a new location. This tutorial explains how to manage your location settings.
How it works
There are two different settings that control where to store your backup archives. You can specify:
Change the global default location
When backing up to another computer, or that computer backs up to you, the default location of the archive directory varies by operating system:
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, Server 2008, and Server 2012: C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\backupArchives
To view this hidden folder, open a file browser and paste the path in the address bar. If you installed per user, see the file and folder hierarchy for file locations.
- Windows XP: C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\backupArchives
If you installed per user, see the file and folder hierarchy for file locations.
- OS X: /Library/Application Support/CrashPlan/BackupArchives
- Linux: /usr/local/var/crashplan/
- Solaris: /opt/sfw/crashplan/backupArchives/
Changing the default backup location directs any new, incoming computers' data to the specified location. Changing this setting does not affect the backup archive for any existing sources.
- Click Settings > General.
- Click Inbound backup from other computers > Configure.
- Click the Default backup archive location folder icon.
- Navigate to the directory where you want backups stored.
- Click Ok after you have selected the new directory.
- Click Ok to close Inbound Backup Settings.
- Click Save.
Change friend's default location
On the Friends tab, you can change where your friends' computers store backup data. Changing this setting affects backup data on new, incoming computers for the friend you specify and does not affect backup data for existing sources.
Change existing locations
You can also change where any existing source computers store backup data. When you change this setting to redirect the backup location, CrashPlan moves the entire backup archive so that all the archived data is in one place.
You must do this for each computer for which you'd like to move the backup archive to another location.
- Go to Backup > Inbound.
- Click the source computer's name.
- Under Location, click the folder icon to open the directory window.
- Navigate to the new location and click Ok.
CrashPlan begins moving the archive to the selected location and movement progress is displayed.
- When the move has completed, verify that the archive has been removed from the previous location.
If you are moving an archive between drives, or you are using certain versions of Windows or Linux, the archive may be copied, instead of moved, to the new location. If the archive is still present at the old location after the move has completed, it is safe to delete the archive from the old location.