If the Code42 app reports that a "File is missing" from your backup selection, it is most likely because the files and folders have moved, or because a drive is disconnected or recently replaced. This troubleshooting article describes how to ensure that all of your files are backing up, regardless of whether or not they have moved.
Moved folders or files
Commonly, folders or files that display as missing have simply moved to a location outside your file selection. For example, if you were previously backing up files stored on an external drive, then the drive failed you and subsequently downloaded those files to a new location on your device, you may need to add the new location of the files to your backup file selection.
When files move to a location outside of your backup file selection, it's important to add the new location to your backup file selection, and leave the original location selected until the Code42 app compares the already-backed-up files to the files in the new location (a process known as de-duplication).
When the Code42 app reports an external drive as missing, it is most commonly a result of the drive name or letter changing. If the drive name or letter has not changed, try scanning the file selection using the steps below to see if the Code42 app detects the drive.
- From Home in the Code42 app, select .
- Click the ellipse button to access the Backup Set Settings menu and select Scan for file changes.
If you were previously backing up an external hard drive that failed, and you would like to download the files from that drive on to a new external hard drive, follow our instructions for downloading files after replacing a drive.
The Code42 app does not support Universal Naming Convention (UNC) file paths (for example, //SERVERNAME/shareddir/). File selections must use an absolute path (for example, C:/) to enable backup and restore.
If the file or folder has been deleted from the device (and you didn't want it to be), you can download the deleted file to its original location.
- Where are my files? (CrashPlan for Small Business)
- View your backed-up files with CrashPlan for Small Business
- Change the file selection (CrashPlan for Small Business)
- Exclude or filter files using file type and regular expressions (regex) in CrashPlan for Small Business
- Retain and download deleted files using CrashPlan for Small Business