Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional, Enterprise, Horizon, and Gov F2, no.
Incydr Basic, Advanced, and Gov F1, no.
CrashPlan Cloud, no.
Retired product plans, no.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
The collection of files that CrashPlan backs up is your backup file selection. CrashPlan's default backup file selection is your User directory or Home folder. This tutorial explains how to:
- Add files, folders or drives to your backup selection
- Remove files, folders or drives from your backup selection
- If you have questions about what to include in your file selection, see What Should You Back Up? for tips and advice on backing up the files you need.
- CrashPlan excludes certain system files from your backup file selection. These settings cannot be altered. Learn more about what is not backing up.
- When listing files and folders in the file selection and restore screens, names are case sensitive alpha-numeric. Uppercase filenames are listed from A-Z before lowercase filenames.
- You can specify what's included and excluded in your backup by using regular expressions and file naming patterns.
Important information about deselected files
Deselected files are files you have removed from your backup file selection. Files no longer selected for backup are removed from the backup archive the next time CrashPlan performs daily maintenance, and they cannot be restored.
Keep Important Files Selected
To ensure that files remain in your backup archive and can be restored, you must keep them in your file selection. This applies to files backed up from external drives as well. Deselecting locations or files is a destructive, irreversible action. Once files, drives, or directories have been deselected they are removed from your backup archive and there is no way to recover them.
To deselect specific files, folders, or drives from your backup file selection, follow the steps below.
- Go to Backup and click Change
- Navigate to the drive, folder or files that you want to add or remove, then:
- Deselect the check box next to any item you want to remove from your backup
- Select an empty box to add an item to your backup
- A solid square (Windows), or a minus sign (OS X), indicates that a subfolder within this folder is selected for backup
- A check mark indicates that this folder is selected for backup
- Click Save
If you deselected any files or folders, a warning appears
- If applicable, select I understand to confirm your changes
- Select Ok
After changing the file selection, CrashPlan synchronizes the files selected for backup with the files already backed up to that destination