- Code42 for Enterprise
This article describes how to upgrade your single-server environment from version 4.3.4 or 220.127.116.11 to version 5.0.1 of the Code42 platform.
For multi-server environments, see Upgrading Your Multi-Server Environment From Version 4.3.4.x To 5.0.1.
If your authority server is a Code42 managed appliance, our Customer Champions work with you to upgrade your Code42 environment. Do not attempt to upgrade your environment on your own.
Before you begin
- Review the general instructions at Upgrade Version 4.3.4.x To 5.0.1.
- From the administration console Licensing screen, verify that your support is up-to-date.
Only environments under current support and maintenance are able to upgrade.
- Make sure that your host server meets the Code42 server requirements.
- (OS X) If your host server is running Java 6, upgrade to Oracle Java Development Kit (JDK) 7.
- Verify that your devices can download the device upgrade files from your Code42 server.
Depending on whether your Code42 server is configured to require SSL, devices connect on TCP 4285 (for HTTPS) or TCP 4280 (HTTP).
We strongly recommend that you perform the following upgrade steps in a test Code42 environment before upgrading your production Code42 environment.
Step 1: Download upgrade and installation files
Download the upgrade file for your server operating system:
Step 2: Prepare your production environment
- Sign in to your Code42 server's administration console.
- Dump your Code42 server's database:
- Navigate to
- In Settings > Server, disable Auto-upgrade devices.
See Best Practices For Upgrading Your Devices for more details.
Step 3: Upgrade your Code42 Server
- Sign in to the administration console of your Code42 server.
- Navigate to
- Locate and upload the upgrade file.
- Review the End User License Agreement and click I AGREE to proceed with the upgrade.
The Code42 server restarts after successfully upgrading.
- Clear your browser cache.
Clearing the cache ensures that you can access the newest version of the administration console.
- After the Code42 server restarts, sign in to the administration console.
The message "Server Upgrade Complete" appears.
- Click No, I'll Upgrade Later to postpone upgrading all client devices.
- Verify the following:
- Under Settings > Server, the Current server version is 5.0.1.
- You are able to view the details of an organization, a user, and a device. You can also do spot checks of various configuration screens, but verifying an organization, user, and device provides good coverage.
- Your devices are able to reconnect to the Code42 server.
- You are able to back up and restore, or sync and share, files from your devices.
Step 4: Upgrade your devices
All devices upgrade to version 4.4.1 of the Code42 app by default. Optionally, you can upgrade devices to version 5.0.1 of the Code42 app instead.
- After the Code42 server upgrade is complete, test the CrashPlan app or SharePlan app upgrade for one existing device:
- In the administration console, go to Devices > Overview.
- Click the name of the device.
- From the action menu, select Upgrade.
- Click Upgrade to upgrade the device.
The upgrade command is sent to the device immediately and the device begins the upgrade process. When the upgrade is complete, the administration console displays a “success” message in the lower left corner.
- Verify the test device upgrade:
- Launch the CrashPlan app or SharePlan app on the device and verify the version number.
- Confirm that you are able to back up and restore, or sync and share, files from the test device.
- When you are ready to upgrade the rest of your Code42 environment's devices:
- Sign in to the master server's administration console.
- From Settings > Server, enable Auto-upgrade devices.
- Click Save.
A confirmation message appears.
- Click Restart.
Troubleshooting the upgrade
For help resolving upgrade issues, see Troubleshooting The Upgrade From Version 4.3.4.x To Version 5.0.1. If you need further assistance troubleshooting the upgrade, contact our Customer Champions.