CrashPlan for Small Business (previously CrashPlan PRO) administrators can use this article to quickly locate resources for configuring and managing a CrashPlan for Small Business environment. The steps below are optional and provided as suggestions for what to do next after initial setup is complete.
Test backup and restore
Use the Code42 app to verify that your CrashPlan for Small Business environment is installed correctly and to familiarize yourself with the backup and restore workflow for users.
- Back up your first device.
- Start backup from the Code42 app.
- Learn how backup works and how files are prioritized.
- Adjust settings for optimal speed.
Prevent your computer from going to sleep.
- Back up to a second destination.
Back up to an external drive to improve backup redundancy. Local destinations can be used for faster backups and restores.
- Restore files from the Code42 app.
- Downloading files from the Code42 app is the most common method for restoring files.
- There are no limits on the amount of data that can be restored at one time with the app.
- Access files using your mobile device.
- Access files backed up to a cloud destination from the free CrashPlan mobile app (available for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone devices).
- Open downloaded files on your mobile device with apps that support the file type.
- Restore files from the web.
- Quickly access files backed up to a cloud destination using the administration console.
- Administrators can configure a data limit for web restores (250 MB by default).
In addition, administrators with appropriate permissions can restore files for end users; see Manage your CrashPlan for Small Business environment for more information.
Familiarize yourself with the administration console
- Learn the basics of navigating the administration console.
- Use the administration console to view, manage, monitor, and configure your CrashPlan for Small Business environment.
- Apply settings across your CrashPlan for Small Business environment.
Plan and configure your environment
Configure appropriate backup policies for your organization, then add users.
Configure backup policies
- Determine what backup policies are appropriate for your CrashPlan for Small Business environment.
- Review considerations for controlling what, how, and where data is backed up.
- Review relevant case studies for tuning your CrashPlan for Small Business environment.
- Configure device backup settings.
Define what, how, and where data is backed up.
- Include or exclude files from backup.
Refine what data is backed up using file extensions, filename patterns, substitution variables, and regular expressions.
- Configure network overrides.
- Control network limits between source devices and destinations.
- Independent bandwidth throttle settings exist for both LAN and WAN.
- Add individual users manually.
- Create multiple users at once by uploading a text file.
- Invite multiple users by sending an email invite. Invited users create their accounts from the administration console.
Manage your CrashPlan for Small Business subscription
Manage your CrashPlan for Small Business environment
Once your CrashPlan for Small Business environment is configured and deployed, you can use the administration console to monitor user activity and manage access and retention of data.
Restore files for users
- Restore files for other users.
- Restore to a zip file on your computer.
Replace a computer or hard drive
- Restore all files to the new device.
- Transfer the previous computer's settings to the new device.
Grant and remove access
- Review blocking, deactivating, and deauthorizing concepts.
- Consider use cases for restricting access to data.
- Take action to secure lost or stolen devices.
- Deactivate and reactivate users and devices.
- Deactivate users and devices.
- Reactivate user accounts and any associated devices, and reinstate users' backup data.
- Identify devices that may require administrator action.
Use the administration console to monitor backup status and connectivity for potential issues.
- Troubleshoot the Code42 app.
Troubleshoot the most commonly reported issues with the Code42 app.
- Troubleshoot web restores.
Troubleshoot the most commonly reported issues with web restores.
For an understanding of the foundational concepts underpinning the CrashPlan for Small Business environment, refer to the articles below.
Resources and support
For additional information, search our support articles or contact our Customer Champion team.