This article provides step-by-step instructions for adding a new computer or removing an existing computer from your CrashPlan for Small Business account.
- CrashPlan for Small Business subscription pricing is based per device, so each month you are only billed for the number of active devices in your organization.
- After adding a new computer, you can begin backing up files for that computer.
- When you remove a computer from your account, the Code42 app stops backing up its files and permanently removes all its backed-up files. If you want to back up the computer again later, you must restart your backup.
Add a computer
Before you begin
- We recommend that CrashPlan for Small Business administrators create a separate account for each user before installing the Code42 app on those users' devices. With separate user accounts, you can:
- In some situations, you may prefer to install the Code42 app for multiple users on the same computer instead of following the installation instructions below.
Step 1: Download the Code42 app installer
Most CrashPlan for Small Business administrators prepare to install the Code42 app using one of these methods:
- Download the Code42 app installer once, then copy the installer to multiple devices.
- On each device, download the Code42 app installer from the CrashPlan for Small Business administration console.
- Sign in to your CrashPlan for Small Business administration console with your CrashPlan for Small Business username and password.
- Go to App Downloads.
- Click the appropriate Download icon for your device's operating system.
For most Windows devices, we recommend using the Windows (64-bit) installer.
Step 2: Install CrashPlan for Small Business and sign in
We recommend that each user install and sign in to the Code42 app using their own username and password.
- Run the Code42 app installer on the device where you want to install CrashPlan for Small Business.
- Windows: Double-click the MSI file.
- Mac: Mount the DMG and double-click the PKG file.
- Linux: Unpack the .tgz archive and run the included install.sh Bash script:
- After the installation is complete, sign in to the Code42 app using your CrashPlan for Small Business username and password.
If you don't have a username and password, your CrashPlan for Small Business administrator can create them.
Step 3: Start backing up files
- After signing in for the first time, click Add New Device and then click Yes on the confirmation dialog.
The new device appears on the Home screen.
- Click View details for the new device.
- Click Add destinations.
- To back up to the Code42 cloud, select CrashPlan PRO Online and click Save.
- To back up to a local destination:
- Select Add Local Destination.
- Select the device or folder to which you want to back up, and click Open.
- Click Save.
- Click Done.
Backup starts automatically.
Remove a computer
Removing a computer from your account deletes all of its backed-up files. This is permanent and cannot be reversed. Any previously stored backup information is deleted.
- Sign in to your CrashPlan for Small Business administration console.
- Go to Devices > Active.
- Click the computer that you want to remove.
- Click the action menu.
- Click Deactivate.
- When prompted, select I understand this device’s archive will be deleted.
- Click OK to permanently remove this computer from your CrashPlan for Small Business account.