Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional and Enterprise, yes.
Incydr Basic and Advanced, yes.
CrashPlan Cloud, yes.
Other product plans, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
Other available versions:
When a user in your Code42 environment has multiple devices with the same computer ID, problems such as backup never reaching 100% can occur. These problems can potentially lead to data loss. To resolve this issue, the Code42 cloud automatically detects the device with the duplicate ID and assigns it a new one, creating a new device in your Code42 environment. This article explains how Code42 resolves duplicate IDs, what you can do to prevent them, and how to troubleshoot the process.
The following actions can cause devices to have duplicate computer IDs (GUIDs):
- Cloning a virtual machine that has the Code42 app installed and running on both virtual machines at the same time.
- Using Time Machine to restore a Mac from a backup.
- Using a third-party utility, such as Carbon Copy Cloner, to exactly duplicate a system state.
When the Code42 cloud detects that multiple devices are using the same ID, Code42 assigns a new ID to the duplicate device. This means:
- A new device appears in the Code42 console for the user. The new device has "- duplicate 1" added to the name.
- For example, if the device is named Saceanu OS X, the newly created device is named Saceanu OS X - duplicate 1.
- If the user has more than two devices with the same ID, the number increments, as in "duplicate 2", "duplicate 3", and so on.
- On the newly created device, the Code42 app prompts the user to sign in again with the user's account password.
To avoid the problem of multiple user devices having the same ID, we recommend you do not take the actions that cause devices to have duplicate IDs.
(Optional) When Code42 creates a new device for a duplicate ID, you can:
- To view a list of computer IDs in your Code42 environment, go to Administration > Environment > Devices > Active > action menu > Export All.
- To resolve duplicate computer IDs manually, see Assign your computer a new ID.