Code42 has recently updated the Google Drive cloud service connector to improve efficiency and more accurately collect information about file activity occurring in Google Drive environments. To take advantage of these improvements, Code42 needs to upgrade existing customer connections. Before this upgrade can begin, you must take action: you need to authorize the new permissions required by the Code42 connection in your Google environment.
In order to access information in the Google audit log for enhanced monitoring, Code42 requires these additional permissions:
Only customers with active Google Drive connections configured in Code42 before October 28, 2019 must complete these steps.
The following customers do not need to complete these steps. These customers automatically add the correct permissions during the authorization process.
- New customers
- Customers who are configuring the Code42 Google Drive connection for the first time
- Customers who configured the Google Drive connection after October 28, 2019
Before you begin
Ensure you have your Google Workspace Super Admin credentials. You need them to sign in to your Google Admin Console to authorize the connection to use the new permissions. Other administrator types do not have the global permissions required to authorize the new permission for your entire environment.
Accept the new permissions
- Sign in to your Google Admin Console using your Google Workspace administrator email and password.
- Select Security from the Admin Console list.
- Click API Controls at the bottom of the Security list.
- Click Manage domain-wide delegation.
- Locate the Code42 Google Services entry in the API Clients list. It may be named slightly differently in your environment. Look for a Client ID of 118141815551895925688.
- Click Edit.
- In the Edit Scopes dialog box, add these permission scopes:
- Click Authorize.
After you authorize the Code42 application to add the new permissions in Google, Code42 can upgrade your connection. This upgrade occurs during the next Code42 scheduled maintenance window after you complete the steps above.
During the upgrade process, your Google Drive connection displays a status of Maintenance. This means that your Google Drive environment is still being monitored for file activity, but that activity may not appear in Forensic Search until the upgrade completes. The upgrade takes an estimated 10 to 30 minutes to complete.
When the upgrade completes, you can expect the following improvements:
- Improved detection of file activity in your Google Drive environment
- Improved performance and stability
- Faster indexing of new drives
- More convenient deauthorization, regardless of the connection's status
- Future expansion and scalability, including support for advanced monitoring and features.