Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional and Enterprise, yes.
Incydr Basic and Advanced, yes.
CrashPlan Cloud, yes.
Other product plans, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
Other available versions:
This article provides a high-level summary of the initial steps for setting up your Code42 environment, including:
- User management
- Deploying the Code42 app to user devices
- Configuring settings
For additional assistance with any of the steps below, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) to engage the Code42 Professional Services team.
Step 1: Sign in to the Code42 console
Most tasks related to managing users, devices, organizations, and settings are performed in the Administration section of the Code42 console. For a summary of all navigation options, or to find the sign-in URL for your Code42 environment, see Code42 console overview.
Step 2: Add organizations
By default, your Code42 environment contains a single parent organization. Creating additional organizations enables you to group users into a hierarchy and apply different settings to each organization. We recommend creating organizations before adding users. (You always have the option to create new organizations and move users between organizations later, but it's easier to create organizations first.)
To add an organization:
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- Select Administration > Environment > Organizations.
Active organizations appear in the list.
- Add the organization as follows:
- Incydr Professional and Enterprise:
- Click Create organization.
- Enter a name and click Create.
- Incydr Basic and Advanced, CrashPlan Cloud, and other plans:
- Click the Add an organization icon .
- Enter a name and click Add.
- Incydr Professional and Enterprise:
For more details, see Add organizations for user management.
Step 3: Add users
Before adding users, identify your provisioning strategy:
- Code42 User Directory Sync (UDS): Uses LDAP to sync your directory service with Code42.
- SCIM provisioning: Enables you to sync any SCIM 2.0 provisioning provider with Code42.
- Manual entry in the Code42 console: If you do not want to sync with a third-party directory service or provisioning provider, you can manage users locally in the Code42 console (includes options for bulk upload via a text file and sending email invitations to users).
For detailed steps for each method, see Add users from the Code42 console.
Next, review options for user authentication and authorization. This includes integrating with single sign-on (SSO), if applicable.
Step 4: Optimize insider risk detection and file activity monitoring
If your product plan does not include Risk Detection lenses, follow the steps outlined in the following articles:
Step 5: Customize device settings (optional)
The Code42 default settings are appropriate for many situations, but you have also have the option to customize organization, user, and device settings.
Incydr Professional and Enterprise
Incydr Basic and Advanced, CrashPlan Cloud, and other plans
- To review and edit organization settings related to security, backup, and restore, see organization settings.
- To review and edit device settings related to CPU usage, backup timing, and networking see device backup default settings.
- For detailed recommendations about what to back up, including exclusions and other backup settings, see Considerations for defining your backup policies.
For the most high-value settings to optimize operation of your Code42 cloud environment, see Recommended Code42 console settings.
Step 6: Deploy the Code42 app to user devices
There are many options for deploying the Code42 app to user devices. In most cases, we recommend using a Code42 deployment policy. For detailed deployment policy instructions, see:
For additional deployment options and instructions, see Manage app installations in your Code42 environment
The Code42 support site provides extensive tutorials, best practices, reference guides, troubleshooting, and more for all aspects of Code42's products. Use the search bar at the top of any page to search for specific topics, or browse available resources from any of these links:
If you don't find what you need on our support site, create a customer portal account and then create a ticket or chat with our Customer Champions.