Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
When a user's device is lost or stolen, Code42 for Enterprise and CrashPlan for Small Business can help you protect the data on that device. This tutorial explains how to protect and restore a user's data when a device is lost or stolen.
The number of device entries in the administration console for a single device depends on the Code42 app installation type: if the Code42 app is installed per user account for multiple users on the same device, then the administration console contains a device entry for each user. To protect your data, you must take action on all of the devices.
Before you begin
Identify the name of the lost or stolen device. If you don't know the name of the device, use the administration console to locate it based on the user that owned the device:
- Sign in to your administration console.
- Go to Users > Active.
- Click the name of the user who owned the lost or stolen device.
- Locate the lost or stolen device name by reviewing the user's devices under Device Name.
Step 1: Decommission the lost or stolen device
When you discover that a device is lost or stolen, immediately take action to protect your data.
If your Code42 environment contains many devices, searching for the device by name is often the fastest way to locate it.
The first step is to block the device. When the device is blocked, the Code42 service continues backing up, but users cannot access the Code42 app to restore data or change settings.
- In the administration console, go to Devices > Active, then click the name of the device.
- From the action menu, select Block.
If the Code42 app is installed per user account for multiple users on the device, repeat the steps above for each user’s device entry.
Step 2: Set up the replacement device
- Install the Code42 app on the replacement device.
If multiple users must back up data on the device to individual archives, install the Code42 app per user instead and repeat the steps below for each user.
- In the administration console, unblock the lost or stolen device:
- Go to Devices > Active, then click the name of the device.
- From the action menu, select Unblock.
- Immediately transfer the user's files and settings to the new device:
Transferring the settings to the new device automatically deactivates the lost or stolen device.
- Replace the device from the Code42 app
- (Code42 for Enterprise only) Replace the device from the administration console