Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
Other available versions:
When a user's device is lost or stolen, Code42 for Enterprise can help you protect the data on that device. This tutorial explains how to protect and restore a user's data when a device is lost or stolen.
The number of device entries in the Code42 console for a single device depends on the Code42 app installation type: if the Code42 app is installed per user account for multiple users on the same device, then the Code42 console contains a device entry for each user. To protect your data, you must take action on all of the devices.
Before you begin
Identify the name of the lost or stolen device. If you don't know the name of the device, use the Code42 console to locate it based on the user that owned the device:
- Sign in to your Code42 console.
- Go to Administration > Environment > Users.
- Click the name of the user who owned the lost or stolen device.
- Locate the lost or stolen device name by reviewing the user's devices under Device Name.
Step 1: Decommission the lost or stolen device
When you discover that a device is lost or stolen, immediately take action to protect your data.
If your Code42 environment contains many devices, searching for the device by name is often the fastest way to locate it.
The first step is to block the device. When the device is blocked, the Code42 service continues backing up, but users cannot access the Code42 app to restore data or change settings.
- In the Code42 console, go to Administration > Environment > Devices, then click the name of the device.
- From the action menu, select Block.
If the Code42 app is installed per user account for multiple users on the device, repeat the steps above for each user’s device entry.
Step 2: Set up the replacement device
- Install the Code42 app on the replacement device.
If multiple users must back up data on the device to individual archives, install the Code42 app per user instead and repeat the steps below for each user.
- In the Code42 console, unblock the lost or stolen device:
- Go to Administration > Environment > Devices, then click the name of the device.
- From the action menu, select Unblock.
- Immediately transfer the user's files and settings to the new device:
Transferring the settings to the new device automatically deactivates the lost or stolen device.