Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
Link: Product plans and features.
Connecting your directory service to your Code42 environment is an important step in making sure the right users have access to the correct Code42 functionality. When you integrate Code42 User Directory Sync with your environment, Code42 periodically syncs with your LDAP infrastructure. This article describes the syncing process in detail.
What is the Code42 User Directory Sync
Code42 User Directory Sync is a provisioning tool that can be installed anywhere. Once configured it connects your directory service to your Code42 environment and automatically adds, creates, updates, and deactivates users in Code42 based on changes made within your directory service. Code42 User Directory Sync was built using the LDAP version 3 standard, and it integrates with Microsoft Active Directory.
How to configure
To download and configure Code42 User Directory Sync in your Code42 environment, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for enterprise support at email@example.com.
What it does
When Code42 syncs with a directory service, Code42 User Directory Sync performs the following actions:
- Authenticates (binds) with the directory service
- After the initial sync, User Directory Sync only processes a user if a change is made to user attributes in the directory
- Operates in read-only mode on the directory service
- Receives the user information from your directory service via LDAP, translates it, and uses SCIM protocol to send the user information to Code42
- Adjusts user data in your Code42 environment to match your directory data:
What it does not do
- Initiate communication with the directory service
To initiate communication, run the User Directory Sync using a scheduling service, which is not included.
- Create new entries in the directory service
- Modify the directory service
You can view the results of past LDAP syncs in your administration console at Identity Management > Sync Log. For more details, refer to the Identity Management reference.
Activity appears in the ldapConnector.log file within Code42 User Directory Sync. To view the log files:
- Sign in to the device where Code42 User Directory Sync is located.
- Go to /C42UserDirectorySync-<version>/logs
- Select one of the ldapConnector.log files.
Your Code42 environment creates a new file each time Code42 User Directory Sync runs or if the file reaches a certain size. The current application log is ldapConnector.log. Older logs are signified by ldapConnector.1.log, and so on.