Who is this article for?
Incydr Professional and Enterprise, no.
Incydr Basic and Advanced, yes.
CrashPlan Cloud, yes.
Other product plans, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
Other available versions:
This tutorial explains how to collect files from users on a legal hold (known as custodians). A separate article covers the creation and configuration of legal holds, as well as how to place custodians on a legal hold.
File collection from a legal hold may be part of a more general eDiscovery process, covered in our eDiscovery Integration Guide.
Watch the short video below to learn how to collect files for a legal hold. For more videos, visit the Code42 University.
- The target device must have the Code42 app installed to receive the collected files.
- To collect files, a custodian must be on a legal hold.
- A custodian's files are not available immediately. Allow time to back up the custodian's devices and data before collecting files. The time required depends on the size of the selection.
- The following user roles have permission to collect files from a legal hold:
- Org Legal Admin (this role can only restore files for users within the administrator's organization and its child organizations)
- Cross Org Legal Admin
- Customer Cloud Admin
- A custodian's files cannot be collected if the user meets one or both of the following conditions:
Code42 collects files by restoring files from a custodian's backup to the device you chose.
- Sign in to the Code42 console.
- Navigate to legal hold matters.
- Incydr or Code42 for Enterprise: Select Administration > Legal Hold > Matters.
- CrashPlan for Enterprise: Select Legal Hold > Matters.
- Click the name of the matter you want to collect files from.
- Click Custodians.
- Click Get Files.
If you have the Org Legal Admin role, Get Files is not available if the custodian is outside your organization and its children organizations. Users with the Cross Org Legal Admin role can get files for custodians in other organizations.
- If the user has more than one active device, choose a device.
- Choose the following parameters in the Web Restore dialog:
- Destination from which to restore files (if needed)
- (Code42 federal environment only) If the device has more than one backup set using that destination, select the backup set from which to restore files.
The From Backup Set list is available only in the Code42 federal environment when multiple backup sets on the device use the same destination.
- Target device
You can only restore to active devices.
- Target location
- Target Path
Specify a file path on the device for the restore.
- Original Location
Specify that the files should be restored to their original location on the device.
- Target Path
(Appears only if you select Target Path). The target path parameter can only be entered if the target device is online.
- (Optional) Restore files as of
If you do not fill in this field, the latest file versions are collected.
- Files to restore
- Narrow choices using the search field.
- Select files or folders to collect.
If you choose to collect a large number of files, preparing the files for restore may take several minutes.
- Click Restore to start collecting files.
Code42 downloads the files to the device and file path you chose.