- CrashPlan PRO
- Code42 CrashPlan (previously CrashPlan PROe)
When a user's device is lost or stolen, your Code42 environment provides capabilities to protect data on the device. This tutorial explains how to protect and restore a user's data when a device is lost or stolen.
The number of device entries in the Code42 administration console for a single device depends on the Code42 CrashPlan app installation type: if the CrashPlan app is installed per user account for multiple users on the same device, then the administration console contains a device entry for each user. To protect your data, you must take action on all of the devices.
Before you begin
Identify the name of the lost or stolen device. If you don't know the name of the device, use the administration console to locate it based on the user that owned the device:
- Sign in to your administration console.
- Go to Users.
- Click the name of the user who owned the lost or stolen device.
- Locate the lost or stolen device name by reviewing the user's devices under Device Name.
Step 1: Decommission the lost or stolen device
When you discover that a device is lost or stolen, immediately take action to protect your data.
If your Code42 environment contains many devices, searching for the device by name is often the fastest way to locate it.
The first step is to block the device. When the device is blocked, the CrashPlan service continues backing up, but users cannot access the CrashPlan app to restore data or change settings.
- In the administration console, go to Devices, then click the name of the device.
- From , select Block.
If the CrashPlan app is installed per user account for multiple users on the device, repeat the steps above for each user’s device entry.
Step 2: Set up the replacement device
- Install the CrashPlan app on the replacement device.
If multiple users must back up data on the device to individual archives, install the CrashPlan app per user instead and repeat the steps below for each user.
- Transfer the user's files to the replacement device using one of these methods:
- In the administration console, unblock the lost or stolen Code42 for Enterprise device:
- Go to Devices, then click the name of the Code42 for Enterprise device.
- From the action menu , select Unblock.
- Immediately transfer settings to the new device:
Transferring the settings to the new device automatically deactivates the lost or stolen device.