Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, no.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
As part of your insider risk detection strategy, allowing Code42 to access your email services enables you to capture information about the attachments that your users email to other recipients.
See the articles listed below to learn how to authorize Code42 to start capturing metadata from your email service.
- Email services are not available in the Code42 federal environment.
- Your product plan must include at least one email service. If your license expires, the email connection is deauthorized within 24 hours. If you need assistance with licensing, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM). If you're not sure how to reach your CSM, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will connect you.
- To connect to the email service, you must have the appropriate permissions in the email service as well as in Code42.
- Gmail: You must be a Google Workspace administrator with a Super Admin role to authorize the connection to Code42
- Office 365 email: You must be a global administrator in Office 365 to authorize the connection to Code42
- Code42 only monitors email attachments; email message content is not accessed, monitored, or changed.
Code42 temporarily streams files from your cloud or email service to the Code42 cloud to calculate the file hash. This may be reported as users downloading files.
Code42 never stores file contents or writes them to disk during this process.
Supported email services
Code42 supports connection with the following email services. Follow the instructions in the linked articles below to connect your email environment to Code42.
Email attachment monitoring differs slightly between Gmail and Microsoft Office 365:
- Gmail: Once authorized, Code42 captures file and message information about all attachments that are emailed through your organization's Gmail environment from that point forward.
- Microsoft Office 365: Once authorized, from that point forward Code42 only captures file and message information about email attachments that are detected by a data loss prevention policy in Microsoft Office 365 Security & Compliance Center. You can also open these attachments directly in Forensic Search for further analysis.
All of your organization's email users are monitored. When new users are added to your organization's environment, information about the attachments they email also becomes available in Forensic Search automatically.