Who is this article for?
CrashPlan for Enterprise, yes.
Code42 for Enterprise, yes.
CrashPlan for Small Business, no.
This article applies to Code42 cloud environments.
Other available versions:
The Code42 console is the browser-based environment you use to detect and investigate security concerns, as well as manage your Code42 environment. This tutorial describes the basics of the Code42 console.
Access the Code42 console
To access the Code42 console:
- From a supported web browser, visit the URL for your Code42 environment:
Your credentials only work at one of these URLs. If you don't know the URL for your Code42 environment, contact our Customer Champions for support.
- Enter your Code42 username and password.
The Code42 console dashboard appears.
The content and options displayed in the Code42 console are determined by the user role of the signed-in user. An administrator is allowed full access to configure all aspects of the Code42 environment, while end users only receive access to settings related directly to their individual devices and accounts. In addition, you must have certain product plans to see all the available menu options. Contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for assistance with product plans.
Code42 console basics
Menus and general navigation
- At the top of the screen, the toolbar allows you to view your account profile and change language settings as well as easy access to key information.
- The navigation menu at the top contains links for viewing and managing the different components of your Code42 environment.
- Action menus display contextual actions and options.
Columns and lists
- Sort any column by clicking the column title.
- Column widths are adjustable, and the width settings are remembered across sessions.
- To reset default column widths, double-click the heading above the columns (for example, "User Overview").
- Real-time scrolling dynamically loads data as you scroll through the data set, making it easy to manage large lists.
Code42 console toolbar
The Announcements menu provides a link to the see the latest updates to Code42, access to our customer toolkit, and visit the Code42 University.
|Release Notes||Lists the new features and bug fixes released to the Code42 cloud.|
|Resources||Our go-to resource with everything you need to quickly move from deployment to value.|
|University||On-demand video content and instructor-led classes to learn how to make the most of Code42.|
The Account menu provides options for viewing your account profile and customizing the Code42 console language.
|My Profile||Displays summary information about your backup, restores, and the location of your devices. The action menu contains commands to edit your profile and view deactivated devices.|
Specifies the locale the Code42 console displays. This sets the displayed language and date format. When you specify a locale from the toolbar, the chosen locale is set via a cookie within your current browser. View available locales.
|Sign out||Signs the current user out of the Code42 console.|
The Help icon in the upper-right launches the support.code42.com article that most closely pertains to the screen you're viewing. From there you can access all of our documentation.
The navigation menu provides access to settings for all components of your Code42 environment. Click any link in the table below to learn more about a specific component.
Your navigation menu appearance is determined by your product plan. Contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for assistance with product plans.
The Incydr logo appears if you have an Incydr product plan, along with your available menu items.
The Code42 logo appears you use the Code42 federal environment or if you have a retired product plan.
The CrashPlan logo appears if you have a CrashPlan product plan.
Click to return to your home dashboard.
Provides an overview of possible file exfiltration activity.
Provides an overview of users and storage in your Code42 environment.
Discover users' file activity.
View users' security events detected by endpoint monitoring.
Review the file activity of employees who are leaving your company.
Review the file activity of employees who pose a high risk of attempting file exfiltration.
Receive alerts to notify you when important data may be leaving your company.
View existing alerts to find potential data loss.
Add and edit rules to generate security alerts.
Manage and respond to security investigations.
Collect, organize, and retain user file activity.
A powerful search interface that enables security teams to monitor and investigate suspicious file activity.
Start a new search.
Displays a list of searches created and saved by users in your Code42 environment.
Administer your Code42 environment:
Exclude trusted file activity, setup organizations, manage users and devices, give a Customer Champion access to help troubleshoot, and set up keystores in your Code42 environment.
Exclude file activity from IP addresses and domains you trust.
Group users in your Code42 environment. You can configure different organizations to use different settings.
Manage users, their devices, add new users, and manage roles.
View all devices and manage device details and settings.
Give Customer Champion permission to access your environment to assist in troubleshooting.
Store copies of users' encryption keys separately from the backup data and from other customers.
Control app download versions, deploy Code42 apps, make customizations, and manage updates.
Manage the Code42 app versions that are available for download.
Deploy Code42 apps for installation.
Define and apply Code42 app customizations for co-branding, login field labels, and in-app messaging.
Manage Code42 app updates
Create and manage preservation policies, place users (custodians) in your Code42 environment on legal hold, and collect data.
Create legal matters for placing users on legal hold.
Create policies for retaining files to be used in legal holds.
See data on the health of your Code42 environment and how Code42 is being used.
Identify endpoints that aren't reporting security events across your Code42 environment.
Displays high-level summary information about backup status, storage, and users.
View your registration key and current subscription status (current subscriptions, subscriptions in use).
See a record of who did what and when in your Code42 environment.
Run reports to address common problems and answer questions about users and devices in your Code42 environment.
Control user access and manage third-party applications.
Give users access to the right resources within Code42.
Add and manage third-party applications such as cloud and email services that provide file event data to Code42.
Search appears in the upper-right when you open the Administration menu. Enter text to search for users, devices, and organizations in your Code42 environment. You can enter a full or partial first or last name, email address, device guid, device name, or organization name.
Matching results appear below the search text box. Click any result to view the relevant details.
Detect and analyze potential file exfiltration activity throughout your organization:
Monitor file activity for specific high-risk users and receive an email notification when suspicious activity occurs.
View summaries and charts for endpoint monitoring events.
Settings in the Code42 console
For settings in the Code42 console that impact user devices, there are three options for applying settings: save, push, and lock.
- Saving a setting applies it for new devices in the future. Saving settings does not affect any existing devices.
- Pushing a setting changes it on user devices, but still allows users to change the setting later.
- Locking a setting pushes it out to user devices and also prevents users from changing the setting later.
|Applies changes to future devices||Applies changes to existing devices||Allows users to change settings|
Your Code42 environment can hold many organizations, and each organization (called parent organizations) can contain other organizations (called child organizations). Each organization is visible in the Code42 console at Organizations. By default, each new organization inherits the settings of its parent organization.
From the action menu, select Edit to enable or disable inheritance for an organization.
- When you disable inheritance for an organization, that organization (and any child organizations belonging to that organization) will not receive existing or new settings from the parent organization.
- All newly-created organizations inherit all settings from their parent organizations by default.
- Inheritance can be enabled or disabled for groups of settings, such as settings for Destinations, Security, and so on.
- If you re-enable inheritance for an organization, any unique settings are lost and replaced by the parent organization's settings when you click Save.
- Depending on the settings you have configured in your own Code42 environment, enabling or disabling inheritance can apply settings that may lead to data loss, such as disk quotas or cold storage settings.
In addition to the graphical user interface of the Code42 console, you can also interact with your Code42 environment through a command-line interface (CLI). To access the command-line interface:
- From anywhere in the Code42 console, enter Ctrl + Shift + X.
The command-line interface appears.
- Enter commands at the top of the command-line interface.
- Review the output below.
See the Code42 console command-line interface reference for additional details and a complete list of available commands.
Command-line interface for Code42 app devices
Use the Code42 console device command line to send commands to Code42 app devices that are currently online.
To open the Code42 console command-line interface for Code42 app devices:
- Locate the device in the Code42 console.
- Click the device to view its details.
- Double-click the operating system icon above the device's name.
The Code42 console can send any command that is available within the Code42 app.
The Code42 console is available in the following languages:
|Chinese Traditional||中文 - 台灣|
|English (United Kingdom)||English (United Kingdom)|
|English (United States)||English (United States)|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Português (Brasil)|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Español (América Latina)|
|Spanish (Spain)||Español (España)|