This article explains how to interpret and respond to the following alert.
The table below displays where the alert appears and where it can be configured.
|"Server is offline: Code42 server name"||Delivered by email and to the Alerts Overview of the administration console|
|"Server offline"||Settings > Notifications of the administration console|
This alert indicates a problem that could seriously affect your Code42 environment's security, result in data loss, or make the service unavailable.
This alert is triggered when a storage server that is part of the storage hierarchy in your Code42 environment is offline or unavailable. There are many potential causes, including:
- An administrator may have inadvertently shut down the Code42 process or service running on the Code42 server
- Network issues may be interfering with communication between the authority server and storage server
- DNS issues
- Hardware failure
- Power failure
- Users cannot back up or restore
- Users cannot share or sync files, folders, and events
- Users cannot authenticate
The identity of the offline server is given in the alert. To resolve this alert:
Confirm that Storage server is still offline
In some cases, a temporary network issue or other temporary condition may have resolved itself. You should visually verify that the storage server is still offline:
- In the administration console, go to Storage > Servers .
- Select the storage server.
- View the indicator under Online:
- A solid circle indicates online.
- An open circle indicates offline.
Step 1: Ping and telnet tests
- Verify that the storage servers are online and reachable from the authority server by pinging the servers from the authority server command line. If the ping test fails, verify:
- The storage server is powered on
- Datacenter power is up
- Datacenter networking is up
- The storage server has not suffered a software or hardware failure
- Telnet from the authority server to the necessary ports 4282, 4283, 4286, 4287, and 4288 of the storage servers . If the telnet test fails:
- Verify that the Code42 server process is running on the storage servers.
- Restart the Code42 server process.
Step 2: Check primary and secondary network addresses of authority server
If the network addresses of the authority server as configured in the administration console have changed to incorrect values, storage servers could lose the ability to communicate with the authority server.
- Go to Settings > Server.
- Check primary and secondary network addresses.
- Change incorrect values to correct values for IP address or FQDN (fully qualified domain name).
Step 3: Check network settings of Code42 servers
Changes to the network configuration of the operating systems of the authority server or storage servers could also prevent communication within a destination. Verify the network interface settings for all involved Code42 servers.
Step 4: Attempt to sign in to Administration console of offline Code42 server
If you are able to sign in to the administration console of the offline Code42 server, the cause of the offline status of the storage server is likely related to the network.
- If you are not able to sign in to the administration console, but the operating system is running, start or restart the server process.
- If you are able to sign in to the console:
- Verify that the primary and secondary network settings of the offline storage server are set correctly. If they are set incorrectly, correct the settings.
- If the network settings are correct, check for networking issues that may be interfering with communication between the authority server and storage server, including firewall settings, router and VLAN settings, faulty ethernet cables, and faulty networking equipment.
Confirm problem is resolved
Navigate to Storage > Servers on the administration console, select the storage server, and verify that the affected storage server is now online. The Online indicator shows if the server is online.
Once you have confirmed that the problem is resolved, acknowledge the alert:
- Go to the Alerts Overview.
- Select the Server is offline checkbox.
- From the action menu, choose Acknowledge.