This article describes the standard annual user subscriptions licensing model for Code42 environments. User subscriptions apply only to backup, restore, maintenance, and user support.
User subscription consumption is displayed in the User Subscriptions dashboard of the Subscriptions screen. For more information, see the Subscriptions reference.
If you have questions about these guidelines, contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM). If you do not know your CSM, please contact our Customer Champions for support.
User subscription model
Annual user subscriptions
Users are licensed according to annual subscriptions. For the duration of the user subscription period, your users can back up, restore, and receive support and maintenance on up to four devices. The user subscription period begins on the date purchased.
|Support and maintenance||Beginning of user subscription period||Purchasing|
|Support and maintenance are included in annual user subscriptions. As long as each of your users have an active annual user subscriptions, you are able to upgrade your Code42 environment and receive support.||Annual user subscriptions begin their term on the date of purchase. If you add more user subscriptions to your Code42 environment on a later date, the new user subscriptions expire on a different date than the original user subscriptions.||
To change your product plan or add additional user subscriptions, please contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM).
For example, if you purchase ten user subscriptions for one year, ten users can back up to and restore from any of your destinations for one year. Once these ten user subscriptions expire, the users cannot back up or restore until you purchase a new user subscription.
Evaluation user accounts
An evaluation user account is a free evaluation period for new user accounts. When you add new users to your Code42 environment before purchasing corresponding user subscriptions, those users consume evaluation user accounts.
- Evaluation user accounts can back up and restore without an active annual subscription for up to 30 days. The evaluation period begins when the user account is created.
- After 30 days, an administrator must purchase an annual user subscription in order for an evaluation user to back up or restore.
Perpetual licenses (legacy)
Perpetual licenses were available for purchase through 2012. Code42 environments with perpetual licenses may only upgrade to a subscription-based product plan. As of July 1, 2021, we no longer renew maintenance subscriptions for customers with perpetual licenses.
Contact your Customer Success Manager (CSM) for assistance upgrading to a subscription license. If you do not know your CSM, please contact our Customer Champions for support.
User subscription consumption
All users associated with one or more archives require an annual user subscription.
- A user is associated with backup archives that contain data from the user's devices.
- If the Code42 app is installed per user on a device, each user on that device requires a separate user subscription.
The following scenarios provide examples of users who consume a user subscription and those who do not:
|Consume a user subscription||Do not consume a user subscription|
User subscription expiration
When a subscription expires:
- that user's data is no longer backed up
- that user can still log into the Code42 app, but cannot restore any files
- administrators can still log into the Code42 console to perform administrative tasks (such as manage users or devices), but cannot restore files from the Code42 console
If all of your organization's user subscriptions expire (or are otherwise terminated):
- no user data is backed up
- no user data can be restored
- no new users can be added
- Code42 deactivates the organization's account
- If your organization uses the Code42 cloud for storage, Code42 retains that data according to the data retention policy
The availability of security features in the Code42 console depends on your organization's product plan, and licensing for these features is separate from your organization's user subscriptions. If your organization's license for these features expire, they are no longer available in the Code42 console.
Learn more: Code42 training video
This 5-minute video describes:
- What cold storage is
- How it affects license consumption
- How long archives remain in cold storage
- How to move backup archives into and out of cold storage
For a wide-selection of educational videos, visit the Code42 University.